Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bostonredhead, Feb 21, 2011.

1. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][​IMG] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Borders – Cary (Walnut)[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Borders – Cary (Walnut)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cary, NC [/FONT]

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Read about this. I hate when any book store closes.

Sherry

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

You know, the internet is an incredible convenience but it also seems to be causing trouble for so many types of businesses. Borders and Blockbuster are two retailers being discussed in recent days and both seem to be suffering the greatest from internet competition. I think we are becoming too dependent on electronic money and online retailing.

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Free market at work. Those paying $1 vs $4.50 for a rental aren't complaining nor should they.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Did anyone go by Borders yet, how are the closing sale prices?

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

True, in the present time, it doesn't make sense to pay four times as much for the same thing, but consider the possible repercussions. Every credit/debit card transaction is trackable and that data can be stored to create a profile of your buying habits. Buying online from retailers can do this, too, but removing the traditional retailer from the equation and replacing them with online buying means that a person is dependent on the internet for the same entertainment or any other consumer items.

If a person goes to the Blockbuster or Borders book store down the street and buys a movie or book with cash, he or she is only dependent upon the money in their wallet and the car they drove to get there. What they view or read is more their business. (Of course, the video stores do require limited amounts of info before allowing you to rent.) In other words, however, you give up more privacy and independence by surrendering to convenience. If at any time, greater restrictions are ever placed on the internet and/or the online buying experience becomes more intrusive, will people do without their everyday comforts (once their local retailers have been run out of business) or give up more privacy in exchange for them?

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Seems like a small thing to me. To each his own.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Adapt or die.

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

This line reminded me of a line from NCIS LA last week where Eric said he "broke the internet"

That line was just funny to me.