Sweet Tea

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by J34, Mar 1, 2011.

1. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Growing up, my Mom always had a half gallon each of sweet tea and lemonade in the fridge. I grew up drinking it half and half.... that's why I like the Arnold Palmer stuff, I reckon. 8)

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I love the Diet Snapple Green Tea. :mrgreen: I can't drink tea with sugar in it any more....it tastes like syrup. I used to love it though. The unsweetened tea at McDonalds has a good 'tea' flavor. I just add some Splenda. NO LEMON EVER. (have you seen what's on lemon rind by the time it makes it to the edge of your glass? :ack::ack::ack:)

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I saw that show! :ack:

4. KellBell

EXACTLY! gives me the shivers....LOL

5. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Diet Snapple is good! I like the peach flavor. What happens to the lemon rind? Or do I want to know...maybe I'll google it. :ack:

6. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

tea only gave me indigestion when i was pregnant...but straight up water did too for a little while. :)

i used to think i liked my mom's tea when i was growing up...but now i know how bad the combo of sweeteners she used must have been for us...saccharin + sweet n low. YUCK. now she brings us some sometimes...i let the kids have a little while she's there and then when she leaves, i pour it down the drain/disposal along with the week-old banana pudding she thinks is "probably still good". (don't want to hurt her feelings but i'm also not interested in food or liver poisoning.) so anyway, that brings me to one of the original questions i meant to ask:

sweet tea recipes. please be as specific as you can. i know some of you have been making it for so many years that you don't even measure anything anymore. and i know it's "to taste". but assuming i like boj's and scnb, what's the closest i can get to that at home if i make it myself?

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I take a saucepan of water and add four family sized tea bags. Bring to a boil and immediately turn it off and let it steep for 10 or 15 minutes. Add to a reg pitcher with a cup of sugar and voila!

I get requests for my sweet tea and my family will drink the entire pitcher at one time, so it's good to us.

8. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

lipton?

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It doesn't matter much. I actually prefer Luzianne Decaf. :cheers: Lipton works, I don't recommend store brands though, they are "weak" tasting to me.

10. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Just bought some!

11. KellBell

here ya go!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeye8wnBJoU

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

my actual tea receipe is to take a small pot of cold water and I either use 4 family size or 8 small tea bags and bring to a rolling boil for a couple of minutes then turn off. take a gallon pitcher and put a cup of sugar and enough cold water to disolve the sugar and mix till the sugar is disolved. slowly pour in the hot tea while stiring making sure to press out the tea bags at the end. once done finish off the gallon jug with cold water while siring the whole time.

13. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

We make ours in our Bunn coffee maker. 2 Family sized Louisanne tea bags + 2 coffee carafes of water, sweeten to taste ( I like it sweet!) Comes out perfect everytime!

14. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

I like Mickey D's tea and also Zaxby's when they make it right. Maybe it's the crushed ice I like so much at Zaxby's.

The way I make my sweet tea is I put 4 tea bags in a mason jar full of water in the microwave for 4 min. Let it sit for a while 30 min or overnight if I forget it. 1 1/2 ( don't really measure anymore) of sugar with cold water.
    It's easier to me so I want have to remember to cut off the stove. Taste the same as if I did it on the stove. I never let the tea pitcher run out!

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I microwave my water too - in a plastic pitcher, add 4 large tea bags, let that sit for 30min-hour. Run HOT water from the faucet into my tea pitcher, add 3/4 cup sugar (trying to cut back on the sugar), disolve the sugar, add the tea water from other pitcher, add more cold water to the tea bags, let sit awhile, add that, then finish filling pitcher w/ more cold water. :)

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Bojangles Tea after a night of drinking is heavenly.

17. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

18. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

We use the Bunn too! I use 4 Luzianne family size bags and brew a pot. Then I mix a cup of sugar in a little cold water in the pitcher and pour in the pot of tea. Finish off with ice cubes to the top of the pitcher. Easy and FAST!

My kids still prefer SCNB or McDonald's if we are out...I like McD's. But their overall favorite is Grandma's tea...she has lost her taste buds and adds enough sugar to send you into sugar shock!:ack:

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i use a tea maker, love it but i don't exactly go by the directions, i like my tea strong. i use 3 family size bags & 4 regular size bags of either green or white tea and i run it 4 times instead of just one so i am getting fuller strength and not adding plain water to the pitcher of tea and then i squeeze the last bit from the bags. i then add about 1 1/3 cup splenda to make a gallon. Now for DH, i have to make his separately cause he doesn't like splenda so i make it the same way just using sugar instead. Yeah, we have 2 gallons of tea in the fridge at all times:lol: