Proposal for shooting range in JoCo

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

What do you folks think about this?

http://www.garnerclayton.com/2011/03/02/6021/gun-enthusiasts-call-for-shooting.html

In summary, it's a proposal to establish a shooting range at the county dump site on NC 210 in order to provide a controlled environment for recreational firearms use.

Sounds good to me. It should be able to add a few bucks for county coffers in addition to providing a safer environment for recreational firearms use than is currently available.

IDK where the JoCo sheriff's dept trains, but a shared facility could benefit both civilians and LE (I believe Wake already does this to some extent).

Thoughts?

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

As one of them libruls on the board, I'm all for it. I'd like to see more firearms safety and targeting available in a controlled environment. Perhaps that would cut down on the stray rounds that occasionally come by because someone is 'plinking' cans with a .22, and doesn't realize how far the rounds travel.

3. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

It does seem JoCo had proposed some really stupid ordinance on shooting and had to pull it. Bet this ends up being their work around.

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:iagree: We have taught our kids gun safety and regularly shoot on my MIL's property. We are fortunate to have a large farm to target/skeet shoot on and we are responsible parents who enjoy this activity with our kids, just as many families enjoy hunting on family land with their families. I would be very upset if the county steps in and says we cannot do that any longer on My DH's family property. Frankly, I would feel a lot less safe at some shooting range with my kids. While I feel for folks who have neighbors who do not practice safe target shooting/hunting, I do not feel an all out ban is necessary. Our neighbor to the rear has an indoor shooting range on his property. I know he is responsible and I do not feel unsafe. It's about being a responsible gun owner.

Typical to punish all for the actions of a few and disappointing that this is actually being considered. How do we get involved in this PRM?

5. Jen-Nay

Jen-Nay Guest

What about outdoor archery? Are they going to allow archers to shoot there too?

6. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

I think it would be great to have an outdoor range in JoCo. I unfortunately don't have access to any large land area to shoot, and my rifle skills need some serious rust removal.

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I love the idea! We're a gun firing, bow and arrow shootin', target practice, pistol range, follow all the rules, safety first family and I would LOVE for there to be something close by.

8. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

Great! I've been looking for a good place to shoot in my home area. It's a long drive to the Durham Wildlife club.

(btw, agree this should not take the place of rights to shoot on your own property. Proud NRA member and Instructor here...)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I agree that it would be great to have an outdoor and/or indoor range in Johnston County, for recreational shooters and for our local economy. I just don't want to lose my right to use my land to practice shooting. I hope we can have both options.

As an aside, I just left La Cocina in Clayton and on the front window was a big advertisement for a local friends of nra event. I think I might go. It looks as if a lot of their money goes for education and training.

http://www.friendsofnra.org/national.aspx?cid=10

10. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Since the perception by some that I am a flaming liberal, I say go ahead and spend more of the taxpayer's money to benefit a few.

11. Ima Sheltie

Kinda related, but not directly........................

Davi's in Raleigh is closing soon. They are having a sale this weekend.

12. Ima Sheltie

Just remember, it was you that referred to yourself as "flaming".

13. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Actually, I could see it being more of a revenue generator than an expense. The land isn't suitable for anything but recreational use and, as the article pointed out, the county already has the equipment on site. After the upfront costs for engineering and construction the ongoing costs would be limited to maintenance, staffing and insurance.