Got a speeding ticket. Need a lawyer.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

I actually have a question first, hopefully someone on here either knows or has experience.

I got a speeding ticket for doing 60 in a 45 zone. We had just bought this truck a few weeks ago, and had an inkling that the speedometer was off. Now, I'm convinced, lol.

My question is, when I get the speedometer fixed and it's proven that it was improper equipment, will I still have to pay the full amount and will I get points on my insurance?

I haven't used a prayer for judgement in over 15 years. Can I still use that?

The only reason why I want to hire a lawyer, is because my court date is on the day I will be in Europe. Not sure if I should just extend the date out (whats the attorney's fees anyway?)

Attorney recommendations appreciated! :)
    Thanks!

2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Just wait, you'll have plenty options to chose from in the mail.

3. ferrickhead28

Oh yeah, good point. I forgot all about that!

4. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

What county? I don't think Wake County allows for faulty equipment any longer.

5. ferrickhead28

Johnston.

6. FrameMaMa

FrameMaMa Well-Known Member

Scott Johnson hands down!!

I have had a speeding ticket that he took care of, and my husband got one with his car, and was also cited for the speedometer not working, and Scott was awesome!
    No points on insurance or anything!

He is at Mast, Wells, Johnson, on 42 right where Old Drug Store comes out...

7. ferrickhead28

Awesome! Thanks! :)

8. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

I would say Jack O'Hale . He will take care of it for you. I have dealt with him on every ticket I have gotten. He is on third street in Smithfield

9. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

I got my first speeding ticket in Johnston County a few months ago. I also couldn't appear on my court date. If you arrive at the District Magistrate's office early (I think before 8 am) and well before your court date- they will add you to that days court appearances. When I saw the number of people there for court that day I was sure my wait would be HOURS. Luckily, they bump the small, speeding citations to be heard first and even last in line, I was out the door in about an hour. Be prepared to plead guilty and bring cash to pay your ticket as they do not accept anything else.

Since this is your first offense and you have a clean record for years, the DA will reduce your ticket. My ticket fee and court fees were less and I didn't need to use the Prayer for Judgement nor an attorney.

If I remember correctly, my ticket was 52 in a 35. It was reduced to 9 miles over the speed limit so thankfully I did not receive any points on my insurance!

Good luck.

10. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Anthony Hopkins in Smithfield just got 2 of my charges voluntarily dismissed and my speeding reduced to improper equipment so 0 insurance/dmv points and I didn't have to appear - I signed a waiver of appearance.

11. ferrickhead28

This is a big help! Thank you!!! Yeah, I'm just trying to avoid my insurance going up, lol. Never driving that truck ever again, even with a fixed speedometer! LOL

12. ferrickhead28

Thanks! I'm adding him to my list of people to call! :)

13. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

for some reason the Header of this thread made me think of "Save a horse, Ride a cowboy". :confused:

14. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

It does! - DB's wife