10% tanning salon tax

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Savealot, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

I called a tanning salon today that I go to every year and they said that their prices had gone up because of the tanning bed tax. I googled it and it says that a tanning bed tax had been added in the new health care bill.

Has anyone noticed that their tanning bed salon has raised their prices? Can someone recommend a tanning salon on the hwy 42 east or this side of hwy 70? thanks

2. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

Personally I believe they should raise taxes on cigarettes and alcohol before they raise it anything else. You want to talk about bad health? Smoking is horrible for the smoker and everyone around them, as well as drinking. Not to mention the cause of deaths each year do to drunk driving. Make it a 50% tax for those two things and watch how fast we get out of debt. Or become a healthier country. (Whichever comes first)

3. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Yep, DD just signed up for a package at Sun Tan City and had to pay the 10% tax. I think it's a bunch of crap if you ask me.

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

tax hike went in place last year, for tanning.

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:?

RIGHT!!

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

don't worry, that's coming too. count on it.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Why should I pay for someone's voluntary melanoma just so they can look good for senior beach week?

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Not even close to the same, but I'll play along....does this mean the tax dollars for police and fire protection are a waste if you never have to use them?

The tanning tax is a tax for a voluntarily destructive activity that winds up costing EVERYONE more money in health care costs.

9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

You shouldn't have to pay for anyone's health care. Glad to hear you have finally come to your sense.

By the way, isn't this tax racist since people of color typically don't tan?

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

In your little world, are those that rely on police/fire anywhere close to the numbers of those that use Amtrak?

You are not very smart. Seriously....how old are you and what level of education to you have? I won't pick on you if you are ...you know...a little special.

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

My word, you are dumb. I don't want to pay for others' health care when they make the decision to embark obvious destructive behaviors like tanning and smoking. This is what the tax is for. I am all for the 'jab-a-red-hot-poker-in-my-eye' tax as well.

You know there is a difference yet you try to make this about universal health care?

As for the racist portion of your idiotic post? It would be racist if people of a certain color were not allowed to tan. Conservatives only scream racism when it is convenient for them.

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

High speed rail does not only benefit the people who actually ride the rail. This may be a difficult concept for you to grasp, but when there are less people on the roads you don't have to build new ones or maintain the ones you have. You also, don't have as many accidents which takes money for first responders or congestion which interrupts the economy and drives gas prices up. This is what infrastructure does.

Nobody answered my question. If you never have to rely on police and fire is it a waste of money?

On second thought, you have convinced me...we need no more taxes ever. Every project out there can be handled by the private sector and the free market will set aside greed and regulate itself. And of course, people will tan, tan, tan until their skin is nice and leathery and covered in lesions...they will then seek treatment which will not contribute to the rising cost of health care.

Whew, I am glad I finally saw the light.

13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

LOL