Earthquake and Tsunami

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ZUMBAbyMARIE, Mar 11, 2011.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

that's really scary, i'm with kdc, times like this wish i had a tv in my office too.

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

We all better keep on praying!

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Japan says the vapor they are releasing isn't harmful.

I know nothing about the workings of a nuclear reactor.

4. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

At least 4 folks on my flight this evening where in a plane on the tarmac in Tokyo when it hit. They sat on the plane, experiencing all the aftershocks for the next 6 hours, before they were given permission to take off.

They stated they were pretty damn lucky compared to those left behind.

7. AnnetteL

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  8. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Even though it would have been terrifying, I would imagine they were in a pretty safe place - huge metal shelter with no tall buildings nearby! Regardless....:shock:

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

They said the wings flipping up and down freaked them out, but you are right in that the plane is designed to even handle that (turbulence).

10. Ima Sheltie

11. Ima Sheltie

That is unless the tsunami rolled across that airport.

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I agree that they were pretty darn lucky. Been watching this closely and I can only image what those people went through and are still going through. We have friends living in Japan, working for Caterpillar.

Glad to know you were on a plane with some who made it out.

Sherry

13. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the core has not had a meltdown as of yet. That would be a major disaster, like Chernobyl. The actual building where the core is exploded recently but they are still trying to keep water flowing to the core. We and other countries have scientist helping with this. I've been watching one on television who explains it well. The backup went out due to the disaster, which means the cooling system is down. All reports are showing that they are trying to cool it down with seawater.

Another problem is getting the iodine capsules to people anywhere near the plant. How the heck do they do that with this type of disaster?

Thinking about each and everyone of those people at the moment.

Sherry

14. AnnetteL

When I was first listening to the news this morning they were talking about a core melt down but have since then revised it. I've also heard though that they are having problems with two other reactors.
    I remember visiting in Germany shortly after Chernobyl and everyone was advised to not eat any kind of fresh fruits or vegetables,that lasted for quite some time.

15. Ima Sheltie

16. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

17. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I guess with the threat of nuclear meltdown at these plants, worldwide fear will be generated and keep nuclear energy from being advanced. We already know that off-shore oil drilling is not viewed favorably since last year's incident.

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

19. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

20. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIZKlaEZMLY[/ur] exposion at Nuclear plant. hydrogen build up

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011