Best way to clean shower

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Allioop, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I have hated our shower since the day we moved here almost four years ago. As much as I clean it, the bottom still looks dirty. What products work to make it white all over!? :lol: What I currently use is Clorox Clean-up Bleach spray and/or Comet. They help a little but not enough. Anyone know of a miracle cleaner?!

2. gracey1314

gracey1314 Well-Known Member

I really like the Magic Eraser

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Me too.
    And baking soda works really well.

DB's wife

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I had an issue with iron in our water before we had some work done to our well last year. I found Soft Scrub was about the only thing that worked. That and elbow grease. I can't use a lot of aerosol products, so other than that I got nothing.

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Not sure if vinegar would help but it sure works on all kinds of other items.

Sherry

6. Local Lady

Local Lady Well-Known Member

As a professional cleaner, here's a secret that usually works. Oven Cleaner.
    Fume free is best for obvious reasons. $2.50 a can at Dollar General.
    Spray it on, let it sit an hour or so, wipe & rinse. Wear gloves to wipe of course. It also works on bad soap scum on shower stalls & glass.
    Now you know my secret! lol

7. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Would't oven cleaner damage grout over time?

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

If you are taking power tools off the table; I got nothing!

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Since we have real hard water I sometimes use Windex to make the sinks and faucets sparkle a little more but it never lasts and before long they look dull again.

10. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with our tub; it's like the "glazing" has all been scrubbed off over time and the bottom of my tub gets "gray" looking. The BEST thing I have found is 'Arm & Hammer Scrub Free with Oxy Foaming Action', it's in a yellow spray bottle. It works best when sprayed on a dry surface; just let it sit for a few minutes and I can normally just come back and wipe it right off with NO scrubbing!

11. Allioop

Wow! Thanks everyone for the good advice. Now I feel like I don't need to replace the entire shower. :?

12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I remember this topic coming up before and someone suggested using Dove soap instead of Ivory. We took that suggestion and our shower stays ALOT cleaner. Also, if you spray RainX on the doors, they stay cleaner also. I would love to replace our shower enclosure with tile, but that is not in the budget these days. I am going to try the oven cleaner today! Good luck Alli!

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Caution for everyone using chemicals for something other than what they were intended for, such as Oven Cleaners in the bathroom, read the labels closely before using the product. Better yet, go on-line and enter the product name and the following 4 letters - MSDS - and read that document.

MSDS stands for Material Safety Data Sheet.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I wouldl LOVE to try the oven cleaner on my fiberglass tub, but do not dare. Even with full ventilation. I've given myself bronchitis more than once when I've used strong chemical cleaners. Not worth it.

Ya'll be CAREFUL!

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

The most effective way I have found is to use beer. Here's how to do it.
    1) Get a Beer
    2) Turn On the game
    3) Speak loudly and say "The shower needs cleanin".
    4) Take a swig of beer (see step 1)

16. Allioop

I'll try that and see if someone in the house responds. :lol:

17. Allioop

I'm a little scared of Oven Cleaner myself in the bathroom. I get all choked up as is it with Clorox in my bathroom, plus I don't have a real window in that bathroom so I can't get proper ventilation.

18. Allioop

I use Dove soap but my husband likes the strong stuff like Irish Spring. He does not like my Dove soap!

19. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

How did that work for you?

Could you switch Hubby over to manly bodywash to avoid the soap scum?

I always use Barkeeper's Friend when I need to scrub something.

20. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

How about a blindfold? That works for me! :lol: