Earthquake and Tsunami

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ZUMBAbyMARIE, Mar 11, 2011.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

That was the building ... hydrogen build up?

Right...?

2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

yes , not reactor.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

now they're saying all 3 are in danger!

Japanese officials say nuclear fuel rods appear to be melting inside all three of the most troubled reactors http://www.foxnews.com/

4. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

http://www.wral.com/business/story/9266111/
    Now the third reactor at a nuclear power plant lost its cooling capacity.
    If this turns into a full blown nuclear disaster the effects will be devastating and long lasting not just for Japan!

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

7. AnnetteL

Quite the article,also very interesting comments following it!
    One major difference between the Japanese and Russian nuclear plant is that the one in Russia was of a different design,there was no containment vessel constructed around the reactor. However it still makes me worry!

8. AnnetteL

Quote from one of the comments:

Wakeup, on 15 March 2011 at 3:53 AM said:

The hydrogen explosions means the cores are at least partially melted. The very best case scenario is the containment vessel holds and they spend years cleaning up a highly contaminated sight with no good place to put the **** the clean up. That’s the BEST that can happen. If one of the containment vessels rupture it will be Chernobyl times 10.

And what’s this about it will be dissipated at sea. If it goes in the ocean it just magically disappears and everything is ok. Just like the oil from the BP spill magically disappeared. It certainly seems to work for France. They get most of their power from nuclear and have decided the best place to dispose of the waste is off the coast of Somalia (no messy governments to deal with there). Put it in the Ocean and it dissipates. It’s magic.

There is no safe technology. It all fails. If you run the timeline out far enough it becomes a mathematical certainty. But on a much shorter scale you can be certain humans will screw up. Constantly. And do things like build nuclear power plants on a subduction zone – with small containment vessels – and then put the power hookups for the cooling system in the basement. The cooling system which is the only thing that stands between them and a meltdown. It’s cheaper. Or extend the operating licenses of dozens of plants here and in Europe even though they are past there design lifetimes ( and some like Vermont Yankee are leaking radioactivity into the the ground water). It’s cheaper. Or the contractors that cut this and that corner.

Three mile island. Vermont Yankee. Chernobyl. Waste dumped off Somalia? Oh and Japan says everything is perfectly fine and no significant radiation has escaped. And the US says all the oil from the BP spill has magically been eaten. And now facebook tells me everything is perfectly fine. Well I’ll just go crank up the thermostat and turn up the lights then.

There is no safe technology. Our lifestyle is completely unsustainable especially in the US. I really can’t even imagine what will be left of the world in 100 years. I guess I won’t be around to see it anyway.

9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Nuke power is much like airplane travel....safest in the world ....but gets the headlines if there's ever a problem.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Chernobyl happened in the Ukraine and is devastating through today. I've been close to where it happened and still no vegetation. Pretty scary thought. Children and adults are still scarred from the fallout both north and west of the area. I did a lot of research on that area before adopting my daughter from Odessa, Ukraine.

Hope everything turns out better for the Japanese people.

Sherry

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

12. steve

steve Well-Known Member

would you be willing to buy a house in Moncure next to the reactor and gamble your children's lives that it's completely safe?

13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

sure.....just as easily as like I fly.

14. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Heard today the water over there is a little nippy.

15. CraigSPL

From an AP article:

Gives you an idea of just how much radiation we are exposed to daily, or a look at how much is really leaking

16. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

No better example than a cell phone against the head.

17. CraigSPL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjAAzkrXSA

Some other good videos in the side bar as well.

Bet alot of people didn't know this either.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  18. CraigSPL

19. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

20. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member