assistance please!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by God'schild, Mar 15, 2011.

1. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I have been on, I think, EVERY airline and travel website there is to find the cheapest round trip flight I can get. I want to go from RDU to Pittsburgh (PA). Layover is fine...I don't even care where that may be as long as I can get the cheapest thing. Anyone here have any ideas or no know anyone that can pull some "strings"?? The cheapest I've seen is like $210 to $222 and if I have to I will. But if there are "strings" I'd appreciate it. I'm going home to see my grandmother over the Palm Sunday weekend. We found out she may have some detrimental health issues and I learned from my mother's passing in 2009, that I want to spend the time while I can with her while she is still able to do things as well. Please let me know if you all have any ideas!! Thanks in advance!

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Because of fuel prices and reduced capacity, airfare anywhere is high right now. I think $210 is probably about the best you'll be able to do.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:iagree:

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Have you tried Southwest Airlines? They don't participate in Obitz, Travelocity, etc. You have to go direct to Southwest.com.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Figure a 16 hour drive, rt. 1000 miles. 25 mpg. 40 gal of gas at 3.60= 144 dollars. For 70 more, you save quite a bit of wear and tear on you from the drive, on the car, and may have some more time there, depending on layover stuff.

Roundtrip greyhound...197.

Amtrak....too darned difficult to navigate the site to go from SSM (smithfield depot) to PHG (Pittsburgh). Apparently, one can't get there from here, one has to go somewhere else to go to Pittsburgh.

Bottom line. Min cost to get to Pittsburgh is 140, plus your time. 70 bucks more to fly there and back sounds like a deal.

SWA (my fave airline) offers a 221 flight there with stop in Philly, and a 134 web only fare return.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  6. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Airline tickets are outrageous. We're supposed to fly international in April or May & dreading the costs. We've heard they are insane right now due to fuel costs. I think the price you're being quoted is actually good compared to some I've heard. Now, sometimes you can catch some last minute flight deals on Travelzoo. Check them out. Good luck. And remember, don't buy a thing on the plane now! they're charging for eveyr little thing left & right now. I heard some are starting to charge for blankets, pillows & such. Going to get interesting for sure.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

7. God'schild

Thanks all! And Hat, Can you explain the "web" price thing? I saw that on there but did not understand it completely. Thanks!

8. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I've always heard you could fly out of Greensboro and save $$$, if that's an option. 8)

9. God'schild

Really??? Hmm Let me check that as well! Thanks a bunch:)

10. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

With fuel prices at the moment, $220 to Philly sounds great. My hubby has been driving back and forth to DC and Maryland the last month for business b/c they want over $500 for a ticket and that's flying during the week:shock:

In the past month, I've booked a flight to Atlanta for $184, a mission trip to Gautamala in June for $775:banghead: and a business trip to Hawaii in July for well over $1k per ticket.... Take the 220 now while it is that low, pack mini bottles of all your toiletries so you don't have to pay to check luggage which would add another minimum $25 each way and consider it a deal!! Hope you get to spend some quality time with your grandmother:grouphug:

11. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Fees for checked bags are airline dependent.

Southwest does NOT charge for checked baggage.

Web only fares are those that you purchase online. If you go to the SWA website, you can begin the process.

http://www.iflyswa.com

And tho those who say SWA is the greyhound of the greyhound of the skies, that may be accurate, inasmuch as the accoutrements that one pays big bucks for on other airlines are nonexistent, and the travel costs are less than the big name carriers.

With SWA, you get a comfy seat, no charge for checked luggage, fairly on time flights and arrivals, and a friendly crew that's glad to have you on board.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

A few years ago Greensboro was one of the most expensive airports in the country. They are still about $200 more than most airlines out of RDU with the destination PIT.

Occasionally for logistics purposes I use GSO, but never as a cost savings.

Southwest will save you bag fees as Hat indicated and they can add up!

13. spazzmom

spazzmom Member

I have found that flying around Easter Holiday the air fare is very high.

14. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

I didn't look at the locations to and from on this airline, but I have family that have used it. Some fares are $25 each way, but there are only certain locations and dates they fly. You might check it out. For that price, you could rent a car and drive the rest of the way.

http://www.allegiantair.com/

15. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I work for an airline (sorry I can't pull strings. Company policy)
    I think you should go with the price you found if it is something you are comfortable with. And buy soon. You will just kick yourself if the fare goes up before you decide to buy. Fares change all the time. Generally count on the closer you get to departure and/or the more heavily booked the flight gets the higher the fare with get. (supply and demand ya know)

DB's wife (at first I typed wolf howwwwwwlll!)

16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I thought it was cheaper to fly out of Charlotte, since alot of flights connect there?

17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Usually Hubs are the most expensive place to fly in or out of. For instance it often times is cheaper for me to fly through Detroit than to just fly to Detroit.

So if I have something in Lansing I will sometimes fly there rather than jump in a car.

Bigger factor is who else is flying there. Air fare to Atlanta is typicaly pretty cheap because it is also an AirTran/Southwest hub and they get into a fare war.

19. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Heading out the 15th and back the 19th I can get a $128.00 round trip flight on orbitz ($170 with taxes).