Nematodes

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Has anybody ever used Nematodes to ward off grubs? I am going all natural/organic in my new gardening space so I am skipping the chemicals to get rid of the grubs and their "friends", the moles.

I am wondering should I prepare the soil first, then apply it? Or just treat as is, and how long does it take to get rid of them? I read that
    If it's gonna be a few weeks, I should go ahead and till/aerate and then treat. And since they are microscopic I can till again, right?

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Hopefully Kent will respond.

Sherry

P.S. Maybe Al, too. :)

3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

they are microscopic. they will not see the tiller. most won't anyhow!

4. Cleopatra

I was thinking that as I posted cynadon. :cool: I ordered 10 million for my garden area, so after they are done eating there they will multiply and spread out? Awesome.

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ok forgive my ignorance on the subject but it sounds very interesting to not have to use chemicals to get rid of pests but i am curious, since they are basically round worms is it safe for pets to be in the same yard?

6. Cleopatra

Pets and humans are safe from these nematodes. They'll stay in the soil and take care of fleas, ants, termites, roaches, flies, grubs, and garden pests. They eat insects.

I got my organic fertilizer in the mail yesterday, but I am going to make my own going forward. I just got a really good deal @ Gurney's so I bought some. I purchased the Nematodes from Gardens Alive.

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

are you gonna be there Sat night? i would really like to learn more about this before i get my garden started this year.

8. Cleopatra

I am, but I don't really know much - I am learning myself right now. :oops:

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

lmao, well whatever you know is still more than i do:lol:

10. Cleopatra

I know how to google. :lol:

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

once established nematodes are the bomb. And Gardens Alive is a great place to order all sorts of stuff from as well, even if it costs alittle more in some cases, they won't do you wrong.

12. Cleopatra

Yes Gardens Alive is awesome! I caught a deal and saved some $$, my bad I ordered the Tomatoes Alive and Vegetables Alive organic fertilizer from them. I ordered strawberries, blueberries, and a clematis from Gurney's. There is a deal there too, 25.00 off a 50.00 order. I really enjoy the GA catalog, not just products but information. http://www.gardensalive.com/