St Patty's Day

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Key ingredient is Guinness, even without the corned beef and cabbage. :cheers:

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Chicken onda grill. I did corned beef one year. It was the nastiest thing I ever put in my mouth. That's why there's so much beer. To get the taste out.

4. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

Cleo,
    Thanks for the Corned Beef Recipe. I am going to try it, I think. Have some Irish Soda Bread with it..

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Or Harp or Smithwick's or Murphy's or Bushmill's or Jameson's

6. nsanemom22

That ONE time I tried it I used a preseasoned prepackaged brisket from FL. I do not recommend it. :ack:

All the recipes sound tasty. But if it comes in a bag, run. lol

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I cook those all the time, and we like it! How did you cook it? I cook it in my crock pot overnight or all day w/ the spice packet, sometimes I also throw in some bay leaves.

Another meat that comes in a bag (from Food Lion) that is excellent are the Flat Iron steaks - I grab those whenever they're on sale or marked down and throw them in the freezer. They are our steak of choice. We have turned-on several of our dinners guest to these - and they agree, delicious!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  8. nsanemom22

It was years ago! It just didn't suit our taste buds I guess. It was really strong flavored, really salty. Shoot.... It's probably been 6-8 years, at least. Which do you buy? Maybe it's worth another shot... This was in a sealed bag of, I guess salted water. Tasted like it.

I don't remember how I cooked it.

9. bandmom

Yep, in the sealed bag w/ red gooky looking stuff in it. I pour of the gooky stuff, just put the meat and add water, in the crock pot.

10. nsanemom22

I probably kept the gooky stuff. lol

11. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I love corned beef. Where will (or have you) bought the corned beef? This recipe looks delicious.

12. Cleopatra

I got mine at Lowe's last week. I have always boiled it, but I have heard rave reveiws about slow cooking it. In the past I have always bougt them at BJ's.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

OT, but several years ago we decided to try a brisket on the Egg. I'd never bought a brisket, never eaten brisket. I went to Lowe's.............and bought a corned beef brisket. After 8 hours on the Egg, it was completely inedible and about as tender as hockey puck. Then I learned the difference. Really one of my only cooking "FAILS" on the Egg. We laugh about it..................now. :jester:

14. Allioop

Thanks! I'm always at Lowe's so I'll get one next time I'm in there.

15. nsanemom22

I just asked DH .. he doesn't even remember me making it. Maybe it's time to try it again. But we're still having chicken tonight. Maybe we'll have some pesto and pasta... just to throw some green in.

16. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

GF Chicken parma from scratch with home made GF bruschetta. Asked last night, and DD advocated for it.

17. Cleopatra

Bah, St Patty's Day has been postponed here. Thing II is still sick, I'm not dragging her to the store with a bucket.

I'll probably make spaghetti with focaccia - I will put lots of basil on it.

18. Allioop

Aww...sorry she's still sick. I was getting ready to ask how your corned beef turned out. I didn't make any either yet. Maybe I will next week.

19. bandmom

cooked mine yesterday and made mash-a-pahtaytas (as my kids called em when they were little) :lol: it was yummy!