School Transfer Request

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Emma Caroline, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Have any of you ever asked for a school reassignment?
    Did you get it?
    How long did it take to get an answer back?
    What did you list as your reason?

Thanks

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I've requested for the last three school years that my kids (now kid as one goes to middle) go to Clayton Elem rather than Cleveland Elem. They redrew the district lines and cut us out of Clayton but grandfathered us in for two years. I requested for three years after that. We are 8 mi from Cleveland and 3 mi from Clayton. And we have to pass by two other elem schools just to get to Cleveland. Their set up is ridiculous. My excuse was common sense. They sent a form home with my son a few weeks ago to be filled out again, because he's a "transfer student" and they don't know where we live. Some students there still end up going to Cleveland for middle school but we're on the Clayton side. Unless they go to pushing their erasers around again we're on the Clayton side for high school too. If not, I'll be filling out more forms myself.

As for getting an answer back, I was on pins and needles. I'd say a couple months. I guess that depends on how fast the principal feels like getting to it since it's their say.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

There is a process. The population of students at the school is supposed to be what drives the train as to availability of space for transfer.

This question has been asked several times especially with the consideration of adoption of the non traditional calendar.

The answer has always been, "under NCLB, all parents have the right to request transfer to another school." Yet, if you desire to transfer your child into a school that is at overcapacity already, your chances of getting your child in fall somewhere between none to improbable.

Such is one of the issues that we face with three elementary schools in the area, all highly rated, two of which voted against the non-traditional calendar. If PES goes to that calendar and parents (numerous in my estimate based on discussion at the two meetings at PES) desire to move their children to either Westview or Cleveland Elementary (both over capacity already) that possibility is miniscule.

And, remember that if you are one of the few who are able to achieve this, you will be responsible for transportation, as no bus will come pick up your child out of its current bus route/district.

4. nsanemom22

Capacity at West Clayton is 800 (or less) that's with the addition of the outside class rooms. The school is land locked and can't expand. Since my children have attended there have been just over 1,000 students there every year.

5. nsanemom22

Yeah... forgot that part about the bus route. No buses. :ack: BIG pain!

6. Rcskip

Rcskip Well-Known Member

We requested a reassignment from a capped school to a non-capped school because of distance. We live less than 2 miles from Mcgee's, which is not capped but are zoned Four Oaks, which is capped and about 14 miles away. School buses from both schools run down our road since the line is drawn down the middle, but we were also told bus transportation was not available. It took 3 appeals to get reassigned. I really don't think they even look at the reasons because our initial paperwork read the same as 3 other families on our road but we were denied while they were approved.
    And just as a side note, we were not given a vote in the enhanced calendar debate since we are out of district. I just love the public school system :banghead:

7. nsanemom22

We were very lucky that we got in to Clayton. I was in tears every year that I had to fill that thing out.

8. me&them

me&them Well-Known Member

Where we live we go to Cleveland for Elementary and Clayton for Middle. We're planning on moving this summer. If we don't will be in a mess when my kids are split between schools. Oh but get this high school is Cleveland as well. Crazy!

9. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...are you my neighbor? We have the same exact thing, my kids are in the younger grades so I hope that changes in the next 5 years when they go to middle!!

10. me&them

me&them Well-Known Member

LOL no. We're the only ones in our neighborhood that has young kids. We live off Hwy 42 between Cornwallis Rd and 70 bypass.

11. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

In order for the middle schools to go to this, all 'feeder' schools must be on this schedule. Since CMS is fed by WV, CES, and PES, and WV and CES have said NO!, unless the decision is overridden, CMS will not go to this.

If you you are on a non traditional calendar with an elementary school child, and a child in either middle school or high school, then you see the challenges of having different schedules to conflict, especially those families who have a teenager who looks after the elementary school kids.