Shotwell Landfill Expansion

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JPQuick, Mar 25, 2011.

1. JPQuick

JPQuick Member

All,

During my regular drive to work on Smithfield Road, I recently noticed a small sign at the Shotwell Landfill indicating that a public hearing has been scheduled to discuss the expansion of operations at the landfill.

I researched the purpose for the public hearing by looking through the archives of the News & Observer.

I was shocked to learn that Wake County is actively considering a request to provide a permit to Shotwell Landfill that would enable the landfill to accept construction waste from more than 15 counties statewide!

Currently, the landfill is restricted to processing construction debris from Wake County and Johnston County. The proposed expansion would dramatically increase the size and scope of the landfill while at the same time increasing road congestion on Smithfield Road.

Debris from the landfill already litters the roadside of Smithfield Road.

Wake County commissioners apparently intend to discuss the expansion on April 4 at some sort of public hearing.

Am I the only one that was in the dark about the expansion of the Shotwell Landfill site?

Is anyone planning to attend the Wake County Board of Commissioners meeting on this subject?

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I hadn't heard squat and I live right around the corner and DS goes to RMS!!! Thanks for the heads up, will be doing some homework. :evil:

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I didn't even know Shotwell had a landfill!

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's on past the turn off for RW Athletic, on the left. I had noticed some increased activity, but 15 counties????

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Here we go......feathers are ruffled! cluckers a clucking.

6. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

We stay in Riverwood Athletic Club and had no idea this was going on. Thanks for the information. Will have to spread the word.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I am all for it. NIMBY.

Everything's gotta be somewhere!

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes, everthing has to be somewhere. However I don't think it is unrealistic to have concerns about the environmental and traffic implications of something like that so close to schools and a large S/D (which BTW, I don't live in, so it won't be in MY backyard regardless). This originally very rural area does NOT have the abilitity to handle much more traffic than is already there. The roads have not been widened or improved to withstand large numbers of dump trucks. There are frequent accidents and traffic issues on Smithfield road as it it. Covered Bridge is also not set up to handle more than what is on it now.

And notice I said CONCERNS. I don't think anyone has gone all Henny Penny despite the snarky comments from the peanut gallery.