A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

rainy day, rainy day, please wash all the pollen away!

:cheers:

2. RedStatesMan

RedStatesMan Guest

Me too! However, even though it is cold today, the rain has washed a lot of the pollen off for awhile anyway.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

well tomorrow we may see some yellow snow! :banghead:
    http://www.wral.com/weather/story/9337434/

4. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I don't know why but lately some church marquees make me cringe. A local church marquee says "Get off Facebook and into my book" - God. Really? So I guess God doesn't want us to use Facebook. :roll: That must be in the newest translation of the Bible.:lol:

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Obviously, Facebook has its drawbacks, for sure. However, many churches utilize social networking sites for getting messages out to congregates, reminding them of upcoming church functions, fundraisers, events for kids, prayer chains, etc. I can see a number of positive attributes about it and the most fundamentals are fellowship and constant spiritual encouragement among friends.

It may be that the particular church might have meant the message to be witty in a generalized way, which is often the case with marquees. Churches certainly should explore the benefits of such sites. To me, I see it being no different than using a telephone to call a fellow church attendee or, visiting them in person in some instances. Positive fellowship is just that and I think Christ would be pleased with it.

Some churches are slow to embrace change and I think being closed-minded to new ways to propagate and have fellowship might be the wrong attitude, especially when Christ discouraged his disciples from hindering the children from coming to Him. A younger generation embraces social networking online and rather than condemn sites like FB to being morally corrupt, churches should see it as a virtual world not unlike the world that we experience every day. If we barricade ourselves in our houses, we would be protected somewhat from the bad aspects of life but we would also miss out on the greater good.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

FB is like anything else. Those that dismiss it out of hand are likely missing the good that it can do. I am so much closer to members of my extended family than I ever would be otherwise. Heck, FB is the reason that lost dog we found on Sat found it's way back home. :cheers:

8. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I don't think that is the message it is trying to send. I take the meaning to read that all the time that alot of people spend on facebook, they could be spending some of that time reading the bible. Has nothing to do with any translation in the bible. You have to admit there are some that stay on facebook ALL the time. And that's fine! I love facebook and how it has helped me connect and reconnect with alot of people. Sure, maybe they could've worded it better on the marquis. But this may be one of those times you have to look at it a little more deeper for the meaning. Not all churches are out to "offend" everybody.

9. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Reading this makes me what to check my Facebook page.
    Or should I say DB's page because...yes...just as I don't use my own logon on this forum I also don't have my own FB page! I just use DB's!

DB's wife

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Why is everyone so stupid on Monday?

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I know a number of Churchs were pushing the Facebook thing for Lent. Might that be it and would it not be appropriate?

12. Allioop

I just think those kind of decisions are between God and me. To each his own... but I do know they meant well. I've been to that church. There are very nice people there. By the way, I do understand the deeper meaning but people who drive by the church may not understand that deeper meaning. I guess I just didn't like the approach by which it was made. It seems to lack compassion.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  13. Allioop

If Facebook is something that is keeping you from growing closer to God, it would be a good thing to give up. Not everyone would need to do that though. For some people it might be watching TV or sugar or whatever. What someone gives up for Lent is very personal. Like I said, I know they meant well.

14. Allioop

I thought about that too. I have friends on FB that actually bless me so much. The bottom line is too much of anything isn't good. To see it from the church's point of view, they just want people to keep God as their priority. For me personally, I just don't like seeing it as a demand unless it really is a demand from God. Just one of many things that I need to get over. :lol:

15. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Or maybe it's just clever marketing, turning a modern (almost universal) term and juxtaposing it with a church message? Something like 52 percent of america is on facebook, and it accounts for 12 percent of all internet use. I bet the church wishes the bible was as prevalent...

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

As George Clooney said. "I would rather have a rectal examination on live TV by a fellow with cold hands than have a Facebook page.”

17. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Because it's a day ending in 'y'.

18. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I go to church but usually when I see something on a marquee telling me not to do something it immediately makes me want to do it. Or not do what they say I should be doing. And the "quotes from God" are one of my pet peeves.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You do realize that was post 666 for you! :jester:

20. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

:lol: Talk about ironic timing.