Fencing

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grammie, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

I know there is a thread some where on here but to sick to look for it, if I put up a fence how far does it have to be from the neighbors property line?

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Depends if there is an easement,otherwise 1'. If there is a utility easement than you have to stay clear of that.

3. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Incorrect. Unless otherwise specified in a subdivisions covenants or HOA docs, there are no rules in Johnston County that regulate how far a fence has to stay off a property line, regardless if there is an easement or not. You can put a fence through an easement, along an easement and inside an easement, but you take a chance of having to remove parts of said fence if work has to done in conjunction with those easements.

You can put a fence exactly on your property line if you so desire. Just do not go over.

4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Actually, only half of it. :)

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

And some places have laws concerning the "good" side, the side that looks nicer. Some laws state it has to face your neighbors.

6. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

When I had my pool put in I was told by a Johnston County official that any structure affixed to the ground had to be at least 15' from the property line. Guess that wouldn't make much sense for a fence though. Maybe your neighbor has to agree for it to be on the property line.

7. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

My mom put a fence up years ago. She has four surrounding neighbors. Three connected. And she is four inches to the inside of her property line. ********. Unfortunately, my mother has never been a complainer. People are just ********. When she dies I'm taking the fence down.

8. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We've been told by our lawyer and several fence companies that it's best to have the fence come at least 6 inches inside of the property line (you have to consider what's under the ground also). This way you are sure to have a clear title, as will your neighbors.

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

We put our's about a foot off the property line on 2 sides and on one side right on the property line as marked by our neighbor at his request as he wanted to attach his to it and pay half to have that side built. Well, he did attach his to it in 2 places, never paid anything and then sold the house. Thankfully we have great new neighbors who have no problem with it:hurray:

10. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

You can put a fence 6 inches inside your property, sure. You can put it a foot, 2 feet, whatever you like. Typically a homeowner will call a land surveyor to come out and mark the property corners and the fence people pull a string between those stakes and then stay to the inside of them. You are usually safe that way.

But remember, if you put the fence 6 inches inside your property, then your neighbor can (if you have issues with them) leave those 6 inches alone and not cut the grass between your fence and your property line. Thereby, at the end of summer, creating a 2 foot tall of grass, 6 inches wide. You could reach over the fence and cut it with a weed eater, or just walk onto the neighbors property and cut it....providing he will let you.

Food for thought.

11. Grammie

We wanted to put it about a foot in the line. The whole reason for the fence is our neighbors, I am sick and tired of their garbage in my yard. This seems to be the only way to stop it. They burn their garbage in a hole they dug in the back yard and what doesn't burn comes in my yard. Thx for all the info

12. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Sorry, to hear you have wonderful neighbors. We have a similar situation. Perhaps this will help you.
    Johnston County Ordinance : Solid Waste disposal Sec. 20-37

(11) Open burning of solid waste is prohibited pusuant to 15A NCAC 20.1903

You can find all of the ordiances at the Johnston County website under Planning and Zoning.

13. Grammie

Thank you so much for the info. I will check it out.