Easter Dinner! What's going on your table?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Apr 19, 2011.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We're having dinner at the MIL's and there will be about twenty of us. I'm told to be there or be square so I thought I should show up with SOMEthing! I have two SIL's that cover the deviled eggs and desserts every year...what else is good? ...... On the other hand...I do still have my MIL's pie plate. I could make pie.

I think pie. What kind? Crustless coconut? Sweet potato? Or Buttermilk?

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Hmmm.............pie!!!

We are having turkey breast, mashed taters, gravy, veggies, rolls, deviled eggs, etc. I haven't decided on desserts yet, but I gotta get busy!:cheers:

3. nsanemom22

I made a poll! I made a poll! I made a poll! I didn't think I was smart enough to make one but I AM! lol

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

but, I thought you were makin pie .... :confused: :jester:

5. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Buttermilk, definitely! I have to make a couple of those today mysel. Going to my Dad's in GA tomorrow and I promised him a buttermilk pie along with some hoop cheese and souse meat. He can't find that stuff at home, anymore!

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Never heard of buttermilk pie!

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Probably Popeye's chicken!

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Of course this looks tasty!

[​IMG]

9. nsanemom22

mmmm tasty!

Found this on allrecipes.com. I have my grandma's in a box put away but I'm too lazy to go get it right now lol... this just gives ya an idea of whats in it. It tastes very good! If you weren't told it was called "buttermilk" pie you'd never know that that was what was in it.

Ingredients

3 eggs
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/8 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C).
    Beat eggs until frothy; add butter, sugar and flour. Beat until smooth.
    Stir in buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice and nutmeg; pour into pie shell.
    Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until center is firm.

10. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Never put any lemon juice or nutmeg in my buttermilk pie...think I will just stick to my Mama's recipe, which also makes 2 pies.

If you have never had buttermilk pie, I have been told it is along the lines of an egg cus-My Friend...and it is VERY sweet!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  11. steve

steve Well-Known Member

rabitt

12. steve

steve Well-Known Member

rabbit

13. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Mom and I were discussing the Easter menu this week and decided we are so sick of the traditional stuff. We are thinking of taking a picnic to Clemmons Forest. What should the picnic menu be? Something different.
    -DB's wife

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Fried chicken. :) But not from Popeye's.

15. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Beef brisket slow smoked on the grill. Grilled corn on the cob. Homeade tater salad. slaw. and pot luck for family to bring.

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

If you cook you're invited! yum!

DB's wife

17. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

My mom does a FEAST! Standing Rib Roast, Honey Baked Ham, every veggie you can think of like corn, creamed potatoes, butter beans, deviled eggs, green beans, corn bread, yeast rolls and a blueberry dessert and a peanut butter pie (I'll past on both of the desserts)

18. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Grilled marinated porkloin,,oven roasted new potatoes w.onions and cucumber salad.
    Desert: homemade Raspberry sherbet.

19. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

That is now going on my table on Saturday...I just informed my DH. That sounds WONDERFUL!

As for Sunday, my table will be bare...MIL is cooking...bout fell out when she called!!:jester: Hoping for FrogMore stew, but I am happy with whatever she makes!

Looks like a fun day...catch some rays, shoot some targets, ride the gocart, listen to the kids play some seriously good music, eat well, love life, count my blessings!!!

Hope you all have a good one too!!!

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/frogmore-stew/Detail.aspx

(We also add crab legs to ours...Mmmm GOOD)!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  20. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

HA ha..lol I won't be cooking cuz I just can't. No umph to make anything fancy. I think I will make a roast pork and have the hubby make mashed taters. If not, maybe a roast chicken. Other then that, I have no idea what we will have. No fancy deserts..lol unless food lion is getting fancy on us.
    We will be taking inventory on what we have that is good and positive. Lost his mom, anniversary of his dad's passing, my mom sick, me sick..lol. We will focus on what the real meaning of Easter is. I think that is probably more important anyway.