He is Risen!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CanisLupis, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

No, my point was religion means different things for different people. It's not always a bad thing. I don't consider myself religious, but I do have a relationship with God. Religion without God is pointless. Sorry if that wasn't clear. By the way, I don't think SS was proclaiming his lack of religion. I think he was trying to condemn those who get caught up in religion, but it didn't seem appropriate for this particular thread. I think it was started by Wulf to simply celebrate Jesus on Easter. JMO. Carry on... :)

2. Allioop

I love my rock. :lol:

3. Allioop

I think we can agree that whatever words you use, how religious or non-religious you are, it's between you and God. He knows our heart and our motives. That's all that matters to me. Sometimes real religious people are just trying to know him better, and who are we to judge their spiritual journey. I think God is a lot more patient with us than we are of each other. I'm guilty too of impatience. :oops: Not sure if impatience is the word...maybe just lack of understanding each other.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

How many people use JMO? Well as far as the thinking part goes.....Give it a rest. Anyone who says RELIGION means different things to different people has an UNDERSTANDING and learning dissability issue. Try to argue water is wet. Thanks for pointing out your ignorance. Remember less is more.

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray:

6. ServerSnapper

re·li·gion

   /rɪˈlɪdʒ[​IMG]ən/ [​IMG] Show Spelled[ri-lij-uh[​IMG]n] [​IMG] Show IPA
    –noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

7. religions, Archaic . religious rites.

8. Archaic . strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

—Idiom 9. get religion, Informal . a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.

b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.

Use religion in a Sentence

See images of religion

Search religion on the Web

Origin:
    1150–1200; Middle English religioun (< Old French religion ) < Latin religiōn- (stem of religiō ) conscientiousness, piety, equivalent to relig ( āre ) to tie, fasten ( re- re- + ligāre to bind, tie; compare ligament) + -iōn- -ion; compare rely

—Related forms re·li·gion·less, adjective
    an·ti·re·li·gion, adjective
    non·re·li·gion, noun
    sub·re·li·gion, noun

re·li·gious

   /rɪˈlɪdʒ[​IMG]əs/ [​IMG] Show Spelled [ri-lij-uh[​IMG]s] [​IMG] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural -gious.
    –adjective 1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with religion: a religious holiday.

2. imbued with or exhibiting religion; pious; devout; godly: a religious man.

3. scrupulously faithful; conscientious: religious care.

4. pertaining to or connected with a monastic or religious order.

5. appropriate to religion or to sacred rites or observances.

–noun 6. a member of a religious order, congregation, etc.; a monk, friar, or nun.

7. the religious, devout or religious persons: Each year, thousands of the religious make pilgrimages to the shrine.

Use religious in a Sentence

See images of religious

Search religious on the Web

Origin:
    1175–1225; Middle English (< Old French ) < Latin religiōsus, equivalent to religi ( ō ) religion + -ōsus -ous

—Related forms re·li·gious·ly, adverb
    re·li·gious·ness, noun
    an·ti·re·li·gious, adjective
    an·ti·re·li·gious·ly, adverb
    non·re·li·gious, adjective
    non·re·li·gious·ly, adverb
    non·re·li·gious·ness, noun
    o·ver·re·li·gious, adjective
    o·ver·re·li·gious·ly, adverb
    pre·re·li·gious, adjective
    pseu·do·re·li·gious, adjective
    pseu·do·re·li·gious·ly, adverb
    qua·si-re·li·gious, adjective
    qua·si-re·li·gious·ly, adverb
    ul·tra·re·li·gious, adjective
    ul·tra·re·li·gious·ly, adverb
    ul·tra·re·li·gious·ness, noun

—Can be confused:   religious, sacrilegious, sacrosanct (see synonym note at the current entry ).

—Synonyms
    2. reverent. Religious, devout, pious indicate a spirit of reverence toward God. Religious is a general word, applying to whatever pertains to faith or worship: a religious ceremony. Devout indicates a fervent spirit, usually genuine and often independent of outward observances: a deeply devout though unorthodox church member. Pious implies constant attention to, and extreme conformity with, outward observances. It can also suggest sham or hypocrisy: a pious hypocrite. 3. devoted, unswerving, meticulous.

—Antonyms
    2. impious.

faith

   /feɪθ/ [​IMG] Show Spelled[feyth] [​IMG] Show IPA
    –noun 1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.

2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that thehypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

3. belief in god or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.

4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.

5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.

6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.

7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.

8. Christian Theology . the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.

—Idiom 9. in faith, in truth; indeed: In faith, he is a fine lad.

Use Faith in a Sentence

See images of Faith

Search Faith on the Web

Origin:
    1200–50; Middle English feith < Anglo-French fed, Old French feid, feit < Latin fidem, accusative of fidēs trust, akin to fīdere to trust. See confide

—Related forms mul·ti·faith, adjective

7. Allioop

:lol: Take your own advice then!

8. ServerSnapper

Just to know and understand what I am dealing with. I would like to know the interpretations of these meanings. Since they mean different things to different people.

9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Oh but you're not trying to hijack the thread. .... :roll:

Start your own

10. ServerSnapper

God fearing.....is what I am. Didn't mean to pick on you or your beliefs in what RELIGION means to you. I just hate to see people use terms that really just generalizes Faith. Religion.....Religious. Hell Hugh even believes in something. He is religious to those things. Just using him as a point of reference. It's up to you to listen to his hatred of God and those who believe in science..

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

If there are two-faced people who backbite and gossip against others in the church, then there is a problem with that particular congregation. Remember that fellowship in Christ is encouraged by scripture. We are told that we are the body of Christ and each part of the body serves a purpose. However, if we are not united (at least, reasonably) together, it would seem that we cannot fully serve as one body. If you have no feeling in your foot, then you are likely to fall. The hand cannot do the work of the foot. Fellowship helps strengthen our spirituality, IMO.

Clearly though, faith is all that is required for salvation even though works in faith are important. Remember one of the thieves that hung beside Jesus on the cross? He rebuked the other thief for his mockery of Christ and asked Jesus to remember him when He entered into His kingdom. Just that expression of true faith saved him as Jesus told him that on that day he would be with Him in paradise. In this situation, there was no time for religiously structured penance or a public baptism. It just took a confession of faith in Christ, period. Most of us, however, are not in this particular position and should allow ourselves the opportunity to have fellowship with others and a spiritual rededication when we feel we need it.

With any church, you have to remember that we are still human. We say things we shouldn't and do things we shouldn't. We must be prepared to forgive seven times seventy if necessary, but we should not find ourselves yoked together with those who do not serve with sincerity within a church that seems spiritually dead. According to the Apostle Paul, our spirits, when we become Christians, are supposed to be in tune with the Holy Spirit. Our spirits are to call out, "Abba" or Father. If there is something that doesn't seem right about where we worship and with whom we worship with, we should seek elsewhere. I don't believe that church attendance gets a person to heaven no more than not attending guarantees you a place in hell. That is for God to judge, but I see a definite need to find fellowship with those who love their fellow church family and Christ.

12. ServerSnapper

Look up Contradiction while you are in learning mode.

"This is everyones thread"

It was a great segway into post Easter conversation that needed help rising from the lack of response.

13. ServerSnapper

Awesome post!!!!!:hurray::hurray::hurray:

I have said what I said because people tend to get lost in going to church and getting SO SO SO invloved in the community. They lose sight of why we go to church. It's not because of organized religion. It's not because of denomination. It because we have a personal relationship with God. Today churches are so political, status driven, I need to be seen. It is just sickening. I keep out of religion, religious activities, and try to stay focused on my personal relationship with God. Most people sit in the congregation thinking about what they have to do after church. When they should be learning on how to improve their knowledge and faith. You ever sit and think about what you have to do after church? COming up activites during the week. While your Pastor, Apostle, or Reverend is preaching the bible? Man. I have. Now. I look at it as a day I partake in learning, listening, and trying to improve my life. Yes I am the devil sometimes. But I am trying.

14. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Look up "reading comprehension"

It's everyone's thread to discuss the topic at hand....which of course has deviated into this "look at me, i want to twist and turn this easter stuff in order to promote my own agenda" nonsense.

15. ServerSnapper

Jealousy will get you know where. I don't have an agenda other than pointing at contradiction and stupid people.

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

know where? Thanks for postponing your MENSA meeting to post with us stupid people.

:lol:

17. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

Jesus is my SUPERHERO!!

18. ServerSnapper

Its not the Kings English anymore. Spit it out.

19. ServerSnapper

Guess you had to think about it huh.

20. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I go to my church to better my relationship with God. I don't go there looking for what all the other people are doing, or not doing. I can only worry about me. I don't seek out the people that are there for the wrong reasons. You go looking for the bad and the ugly anywhere, and you will find it. If you are focusing on your true purpose, you don't have time to be worried about other folks agenda's and why they are in church.