HELP! Need clothes dryer repair info!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Resident, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

My clothes dryer stopped working yesterday. It still runs but there's no heat at all. It's maybe 5 years old. Sounds like the heating element is out.

Can anyone recommend a repairman for this? I hate to have to call someplace like Sears and was hoping to find someone local. Any info is helpful! As of this morning, I have towels hanging on the back deck and if the dogs don't eat them before I get home, it'll rain. Ugh.

2. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Actually, I found Sears to be my best bet; they monitor the repairmen, so you'll not get raked over the coals. I thought their price was fair when they came out and repaired mine several years ago.

3. Resident

Well, I'll certainly try them then. Thanks a million. Did you just call the Sears in Raleigh at the mall?

4. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

5. Resident

Thanks for your help. I have them scheduled to come out this Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, it's going to cost $193.99, since I went with the one-year guaranteed work (as opposed to a charge of $129 for the visit, WITHOUT parts included and with a 60-day warranty.) :/

On the plus side, I thought my dryer was about 5 years old. Turns out it's 8 years old. So, it could always be worse... It's been good so far!

6. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Make sure the vent line is not clogged. Last year I had a bird build a nest in the vent and nothing would dry.

7. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

My days of ever considering a Sears repair man are over. Good luck.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Excellent point!

Also a number of fires have started due to clogged vents, or so my Mother In Law keeps telling me!

9. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

If you're the handy type dryers are usually pretty easy to fix. I had the same sort of problem with my dryer a few months ago and fixed it myself with a $15 part. That's a lot better than $193.99 plus I'm assuming whatever parts they replace

My problem turned out to be the Thermistor control

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  10. bluelady

bluelady Guest

dryer question.

call Mike's Appliance Repair @ 919-264-8896.
    He has repaired my washer and dryer. His fees are so much more reasonalbe than Sear. Also, I asked if he thought i should get a newer one. His reply ws NO. I think the cost each was about $75-85. He came to the house to determine what he need and then returned to replace the parts.

11. bluelady

bluelady Guest

repair dryer

call Mike's Appliance Repair at 919-264-8896. Mr. Mike has repaired my washer and dryer. Each time his cost was about $75/$85 including parts and labor. He is prompt and will give you a time, not the standard "afternoon" or "morning".

12. xstitchlynnda

xstitchlynnda Well-Known Member

dryer repair

Thanks for recommending Mike. We called him last night and he came out tonight and fixed our dryer problem.

13. shelly3

shelly3 Active Member

For future reference, I would also highly recommend Stewarts appliance. Local guy. We called him on a Friday - he was at our house within an hour, went and got the part and finished the same day. Excellent service and fair prices

14. Lolly42

Lolly42 Well-Known Member

Samsung dryer

Ive used Stewart's several times and I agree they are great. But, unfortunately he they do not work on Samsung dryers. I called Mike and neither does he. Its tumbling but, there is not heat. We have checked the hose and thats clear. Its less than two years old. Does anyone have someone they can recommend?

Thanks!

15. Lolly42

Lolly42 Well-Known Member

I ended up with Sneed appliances in Clayton. We'll see how it goes.