Faith vs Religion (Religious)

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ServerSnapper, Apr 25, 2011.

1. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I respect anyone's belief that we are born sinners but I certainly don't believe it myself.

DB's wife

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23

"Surely I was sinful at birth,
    sinful from the time my mother conceived me." Psalm 51:5

I have faith that the Bible is the truth.

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

agree, Truth.

4. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

I agree KellBell!

On a side note, I read a great quote to me that Max Lucado listed on twitter lately... It read, "There is no such thing as being an Atheist after you die." 8)

5. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Which translation? It has been translated so many times, one wonders exactly what is the "truth". It is a truth that scribes have made it. Ancient Greek scholars can attest to this. Just my two cents , in pointing out this fact. :neutral:

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I don't "wonder" it's my personal translation, belief and faith.

(in the beginning of the thread, which most do not read, the definition of faith was provided).

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Have you read the Bible Harvey? It is very very violent, it explains why one is a sinner. Being non devine we can't control our thoughts.

Clean slate would be awesome.....But you can't get it until You ask Jesus to come into your heart. After that....Your slate is clean. Sounds simple. But it isn't.

One of the hardest things for anyone to do is admit they are wrong. So kneeling down to ask forgiveness maybe hard for some. It is for me. Cause I am always right :)jester:)!

It is so hard to do the right thing. But that is where FAITH comes into play. You have to believe.

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

*facepalm*

Does anybody consider that this quote relies on the imposition of one's belief system onto another? Oxymoron is not the right word here, but...

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

This is my point, exactly. How can religion be the 'truth' if people keep making it up over the ages to fit what they prefer? You've made your own personal translation out of it to suit your emotional/spiritual needs. Ten years from now will you have a different outlook on it?

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am familiar with that STORY.

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but this is where religion really begins to look like a total farce and the argument begins to fall apart. The immediate imposition of guilt and only reclamation or salvation through acceptance is nothing more than an "Act now while supplies last" infomercial.

While I was baptized at a non-denominational church I didn't have much exposure beyond the occasional visit and Sunday school. Even back then I felt something was silly about the whole thing. Regardless, one does not have to read the bible to understand religion.

If you have welcomed children into your life, there is no way you can look down at them and view them as a sinner regardless of not being divine and unable to control their thoughts. Nothing so beautiful can be flawed.

12. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

I believe Atheism as define as no belief in God or a God...
    I Believe in God and that when we die everyone will meet our maker for Judgement. So at that time I believe that people who are Atheist and choose not to believe in God will see Him and then see there is a God and no longer can be an Atheist once they meet Him :) So yes, you are right my thought is imposing my beliefs on that statement.

I personally do not believe that I need to "respect" other beliefs although others do not have to respect mine either. I am to Love others though, before myself which is a downfall that I could always improve upon. Respect to me means to honor or admire. So I do not respect (honor or admire) other religions and/or beliefs that differ my Christian beliefs. But on the other hand I do need to love them even though it can be hard and I can always improve on this part in my life. I want everyone to Know and accept Him and I am not perfect and that is just my beliefs, faith and religion. :)

As I said from the beginning My Faith is defined as Hope and Belief in the Unseen. My Religion is Christianity.... (Defined that earlier -lol)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

You don't want religious folks to persuade you but now you are going to question the religious folks?

14. Sdaanimal

What about the religious questioning those who do not share their beliefs? I for one am a bit tired of Jehovah's Witnesses feeling the need to knock on my door once a week. The Bible is what it is - a book with stories, about God, the creation of the earth, Jesus, etc. What a person wants to take from it is fine. It is a classic book, much like a lot of others. My relationship with the God I believe in has nothing to do with organized religion. I recommend watching Bill Maher's "Religulous". An interesting perspective. JMHO:neutral:

15. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I found the information in this link an interesting explanation of the concept of everyone being a sinner.

http://www.gotquestions.org/age-of-accountability.html

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Isn't fibbing a sin in your religion?

You never did show me where I even utered an ill word towards God.

17. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

18. Sdaanimal

19. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I think I might have posted somewhere on here that I respect other's beliefs. Maybe I should reword that to say I respect people's rights to their beliefs.

DB's wife

20. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

Atheists don't believe that a god or a superior being exists. The sad part of that is it makes life as we know it almost irrelevant. You're born, you live, you die. Nothing else. No hope or faith in an afterlife. It's almost a case of , "well, what's the point?"