Faith vs Religion (Religious)

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ServerSnapper, Apr 25, 2011.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

And I think that is fantastic! :hurray::hurray::hurray: And I may be right there beside you in the near future. There are some things about about "religion" and church going I am working out for myself. Purely as a result of some hypocrisy I have personally experienced at the hands of "religious" folks. I think that whether or not one goes to church is a very personal thing. :grouphug:

2. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I have not read through this whole thread. I've commented on religion/faith before, but I feel like my experience this past Easter speaks to this topic.

I'm Catholic. I was raised Catholic and will raise my son Catholic and I consider my religion to be Catholic and my faith is based on the beliefs of the Catholic Church. But I didn't attend a Catholic mass on Easter and I didn't feel bad about it. Instead I went to one of the most beautiful praise and worship services at a Christian church that I was invited to attend. It was a totally different way of praise and worship that I was used to and all of the beliefs of this church are not the same ones that I share, but we were all there praising the Risen Lord and it didn't matter to me - and I didn't think that it mattered to the Lord - whether I was sitting in a Catholic Church praising or in that other church. The point was that he was the focus. I am not going to be converting to a new religion, but I may go to that other church from time to time just to praise in a different way. My own personal faith is such that I believe you can celebrate the Lord in many ways and he knows what is in a person's heart no matter what building they are in or what "religion" they subscribe to.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Don't give up searching. If you want it, it's out there. Would love to have you visit. (awesome youth group too)

4. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Amen! Going to church keeps me focused on His word and promises, when this world is so out of focus!

Well said!

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I can certainly get behind that. I attended many different denominations growing up and some different ones as an adult including Catholic, Jewish, Mormon and many Protestant ones including Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Unitarian, you name it. I don't think the names we assign things means a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

6. KellBell

without question it is. I respect everyones choice. I sit up front, I sing off key and I wiggle a lot, but there is room right next to me. :mrgreen:

7. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I hadn't always thought about going outside the box (so to speak) of religion in order to participate in praise and worship in the ways that feel right to me, but I see now that I love some of the formality of the Catholic practices and the beliefs about Transubstantiation, but I also wish there was more of a contemporary feel at times in terms of the music and energy so I'm seeing that one may never be able to say that there is a "perfect" religion. Some may be able to say that and that is awesome, but I may not be one of those people. (Please do not tell my conservative Catholic parents I said that. I will never hear the end of it, even though I am adult!)

8. KellBell

:iagree:

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If that is what B.C means, then yes.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:hurray::hurray::hurray: I'm getting there!!

One thing that has stayed with me for years and years is a former boss of mine. I don't remember how we started talking about it, but he told me he was raised an Atheist by two scientist parents and never questioned it until he became an adult. But he said once he got out and on his own, he began to believe that there are things that science alone just can't explain. Now, this was a man who was smarter than your average bear, an engineer raised by two parents who were geologists. Makes you think. 8)

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Nor do I, unless provoked.

I should clarify that of course I use my own spirituality as a 'crutch'. However, I suppose the difference is between my own decisions/perceptions/observations and the "because God said so" crowd.

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Thanks, but no thanks. I appreciate the sentiment, but this is exactly why people of no religion begin to dislike people of religion. If you want to help me you can mow my neighbors lawn instead as I will find that much more useful.

This is EXACTLY what organized religion is. Don't get me wrong. Local churches do a lot of good deeds for many people in need, but I have rarely seen one do it without the ulterior motive of bringing people to Christ.

I usually take a walk in the woods or bring a magazine into the bathroom with me.

Thanks!

13. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

... because they chose to pray to the God that they have faith in that He will bless you? I'm sure you can come up with other reasons that non-believers dislike Christians but this is a bit of a stretch.

14. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

No, they assume I need praying for.

15. KellBell

that's not exactly what I prayed for.... ;)

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I'll humor this out of curiosity. What did you pray for (concerning me)?

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Is it religious about your faith or faith in your religion......is there a difference?

:mrgreen:

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

19. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

THAT (acting right to go to heaven) should not be the point in Christianity. God doesn't owe any of us anything. He desires a relationship with us, and that relationship doesn't end when our heart stops beating here on earth. That's why Christians refer to heaven as our home. The world is our temporary home. Heaven is our permanent home. If you love the Lord, you desire to be with Him eternally.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  20. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

I have faith that religion will be the death of this planet.