Mother's Day

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Allioop, May 3, 2011.

1. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I thought I'd dedicate this thread to our moms and us as moms. My mom will be turning 60 a few days after Mother's Day. She has had a very hard life in the last several years. Her life turned upside down. She is a survivor though, and I admire her so much for her strength. I always thought we were opposites. She was always very stressed, opinionated and headstrong and I was always laid back and didn't let much worry me. Maybe that's why we get along so well. We don't clash! She always gets down on herself saying she could have been a better mom. I think we're all guilty of feeling like that sometimes. I always remind her she is only human. I never expected super-mom! I realize that my kids know I am human, and I will not be perfect. I just want them to always feel loved and valued like my mom did for me. She still does. She won't let me beat myself up about anything! So I won't let her either! I am so thankful to have my mom in my life.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Beautiful post. I feel the same way. My mother will be 59 next month and she has really been through the mill lately and has never had it "easy". She's done the best she could for us over the years and you can't fault anyone for that. :cheers:

3. Allioop

I know my mom did the best she could too. That's all we can ask. I think about all the things I didn't know about that might have caused her pain. I think I may have judged her unfairly at times thinking she was just moody. As an adult, I can see life kicks us around and we can't always be happy, cheerful, no problems "June Cleaver" mom. :)

4. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Your mom didn't speak jive?

5. Allioop

:lol: Airplane! is the greatest movie ever.

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

absolutely

7. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

It occurred to me the other day that this Mother's Day I will not be able to honor my mother for the first time in my life. She passed away in March. I would love to be able to bring her flowers and take her out for a meal just one more time and to tell her that I love her.

8. Allioop

:grouphug: I am so, so sorry.

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:grouphug::grouphug:
    I'm so very sorry!

10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

I hope you did that while she was alive.

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

me too, i really don't know how i will handle it when the day comes my Mom is no longer here with us:grouphug:

12. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Tukasya-I'm very sorry to her about your loss!

My mom died when I was six,my dad remarried when I was 10 and she died when I was 13.
    I've really missed not having a mother around while growing up but also as an adult. So many questions I would have had that will never be answered,how she cooked a particular dish,what was her favorite color,etc.
    As a kid I used to envy my friends that still had their mother,maybe I still do today,at least a little.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  13. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss. This will be the hardest Mother's Day ever for you but you will get through it. What's sad is now when I see stuff with "Mom" on it at the store, I get angry. Stupid, I know. I just miss my mama so much...she was my bff as well as mom. Cancer stole her from us August of 08.:x

14. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Ladies,
    thanks for sharing, and giving me some room to shed some tears as well. Those whose parents are still alive just don't understand how difficult a transition it is to make to being without them.

My Momma passed away several years ago at Christmastime. Since then, I've not celebrated it very well. I put all my energy into kiddo having a good Christmas, but I don't even have the luxury of being numb....I still hurt.

I made so many major mistakes in my youth. I hate that the balance of what I did at the time, was so much less than I could have or should have. I hate that she was disappointed. I hate that I disappointed her.

The only way I can continue now is to believe that she sits and watches as I try daily to redeem my misspent youth by trying to help others.

I know I fall far short of it. For that, I apologize to you, and prayerfully to her. It'll be a tough Sunday. The tears are already flowing.

If your Momma is alive, call her. Don't wait. It may be too late.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Same here, I can't begin to imagine. Most of you know I've had a couple scares with losing her in the past few years and thank the Lord she is still here.

:grouphug: to all those who will miss their Mom's this Mother's Day.

Father's Day is the toughest for me.............because I don't have one and never really did. DH is blessed with an awesome Dad and he's always treated me like a daughter, and for that, I am very grateful.

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I remember a story about a Bear Bryant commercial for Southern Bell back in the 70s. It went something like "pick up the phone and call your mother, I wish I could." Southern Bell's long distance calls reportedly tripled the week after that ad aired.

17. Allioop

Not stupid at all. I can totally understand this. :grouphug: I've gone through something similar, but not about my mom. There's something about losing someone dear to you, and then having to be reminded of it constantly. It made me angry and sad.

18. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I agree...my Mom passed away almost 4 years ago and I still pick up the phone to call her; sometimes with a question or just to let her know about something the kids did. It is very strange not having her around.

We visited my Dad over Spring break and went to the cemetary to order Mom a grave marker. We hadn't been able, financially, to get that done and my husband was determined that it would happen this year. So, he saved the money without telling me, and now it has been ordered. I wonder if maybe that will give me some kind of "closure", because I have been pretty numb since I lost her.

The last time I saw my Mom, she had just been transferred from one hospital into another. When my husband, kids and I were leaving she asked me to stay with her. I told her that she had been through a very busy day and she just needed to rest, that I would see her the next morning and I loved her. Before I could get back to the hospital the next day, I got a call from a doctor there...she was gone. I will NEVER forgive myself for not staying that night!

So, if you have your Mom still...make sure she knows that you love her and spend as much time as you can with her as you can. She is PRICELESS!!

19. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I pray you find Peace. You've known (and apparently share :hurray: with your husband) unconditional love and affection. Springboard off of that so others can see the example of a fulfilling, attending, intending,forgiving relationship.

20. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for everyone's loss. My Mother is fast becoming dependent on me making Mother's Day all the more important to me.

(((2not2)))