Cost of a regular Physical?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, May 4, 2011.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Approximately how much does it cost to get a physical w/o insurance,I just want the basics(thyroid check,cholesterol,blood pressure etc.) not the whole nine yards ;)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Annette,

You can get the most common lab tests less expensively here. The test draw site is the Quest lab site beside the dr Lisa Somebody's office on Lombard just before you get to 70 from 42/barber mill area.

you can get your labs done for about half the cost of what the physician orders.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/directlabs.com which offers a 10 % discount code. I believe I paid just over a hundred bucks for tests my doc said they'd have to charge me 3 times that. You get the lab results sent to you online and you can save and print them out to give to your doctor. saves time and money.

The TWSM coupon worked for me.

You can get our BP checked at the walgreens clinics.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  3. AnnetteL

Thanks!

4. steve

steve Well-Known Member

that was a VERY helpful post and link. thanks.

5. AnnetteL

That is indeed a great deal,I was just going to give Quest lab a call to get more info but couldn't find a number for them,only for Quest Diagnostics on old 70 in Clayton,are they one and the same?
    Does your Dr. still have to order the tests or can anyone?
    Thanks!

6. AnnetteL

Found their number after all,it's called Labcorp and the number is: 359-0471

7. Hatteras6

I am not a healthcare professional, nor do I portray one onTV!

You order and pay for the tests. They'll email you the results on PDF form. Once you have them, you can take them to your doctor, PA or NP. They'll look the same (actually are the same tests and results) as what a doctor would order and receive.

The CWP, Comprehensive Wellness Panel is a good overall start. There are a few drawbacks. The CWP test for blood glucose levels is a one day fasting test. It indicates BG level at the time it was drawn, and is not as informative as the A1C test, which measures BG control over a 6-8 week period.

Note that a trained health professional should be the one to interpret your tests, and that the results may br more important to one than another. As an example, LDL is low density lipoprotein, the bad kind of cholesterol. HDL, the high density kind is the good kind. But, the latest research I read indicates that the size of those LDLs may be more important than the number of them, as the smaller the particle, the easier introduced into the blood vessel wall, causing plaque. Your doctor can tell you more.

Right now, the CWP is listed as 97 bucks, less the 10% coupon if you use the first link I provided to Direct and that's a pretty good deal and a pretty good start. That's what I got, supplemented by some others.

The lab (Labcorp) is on the left hand side, between the church and the storage facility on Lombard Street, as you towards town from Barber Mill Rd.

My doctor was glad that I had arranged these, and since he knows I'm a cash pay patient with no insurance, he is glad to use the results. My lat physicial, had it been coded that would have cost me 5 bills and change, as that's who the practice owners/practice management software bill a physical. He coded me for an extended office visit, which was far less, inserted a copy of those labs in my records and did the exams. The business office discounts for cash payments, so I was way ahead.

8. AnnetteL

Thanks so much for the additional information :) I remember that I actually had been to the lab before years ago ( I didn't know at the time that I could just buy the test myself online)on Dr. Meehan's orders though.
    Do you mind me asking which Dr. you are seeing and approx. how much it cost you to have your lab results read by your Dr.,you can pm me if you prefer.
    Thanks again!!

9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Get insurance

10. AnnetteL

Thanks for the tip!

11. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

No problem....ask anytime. :lol:

12. Hatteras6

My physician is in a group in Raleigh, whose practice was purchased by Duke. I met him when I was a pharmaceutical sales exec. My territory was from Goldsboro through Chapel Hill-Durham. He was a physician who was difficult to see, even more so to promote to with a superhealthy dose of skepticism. Once we got to know each other, I became a patient.

I see him once a year for my physical. He prescribes a years worth of maintenance meds. If I come down with something, I can usually call him, discuss, (he'll actually listen to what I think he should prescribe and if it makes sense, he runs with it.) Other than that, I don't have the coin to go in a pay to chitchat, so if I call, he knows it's serious. His practice is full, and I typically schedule the next annual appt when I'm done with the one he's performing. He is not accepting new patients, and is actually drawing down on his patient load.