Mortgage Question!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, May 5, 2011.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

What is the difference between a USDA home loan and an FHA loan? Any benefits to either one. No PMI, fees, etc.

2. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

I think an FHA requires a higher credit score and some percentage of a down payment while USDA accepts lower credit scores as long as you meet an income bracket and the home/property qualifies as a rural area.

3. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

You looking at getting a house or trailer? Trailers either got to be new or already financed through a USDA loan from my understandin'.

Oh, and you gotta be over the area's median household income level to qualify.

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

USDA has a heafty fee. I saw a recent USDA loan where the USDA and origination fees alone were about $6500.

Just found the following link. Apparently the USDA funding fee is 3.5% of the purchase price.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5824388_calculate-usda-mortgage-funding-fee.html

Then there is the loan origination fee. I'm not sure if FHA has those fees, too.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

yea, the usda fee for my ds was 5,100. for a house he is looking at. I was floored by the fee. But didn't see a PMI included in a no down payment calculation for the house they liked.
    so was curious if the fee was because of no pmi or should he just go fha with pmi and no steep fee. either way seems like you either pay now or later!

6. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I heard some time back of a requirement to put 20% down for some loan. Have you run across that? Just curious.

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Does USDA charge a PMI if you don't put down 20%? Thanks for the private message:)

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

FHA loans are done typically with little to zero down ...but are at a higher interest rate assuming you have a good credit score.

9. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

The buyers should ask their potentional lender/lenders for good faith estimates so you can compare apples to apples. USDA has very strict funding guidelines including income restrictions, purchase location restrictions, etc. The benefit is no PMI and no down payment. In my experience, the interest rate was going to be about 1/2% more than FHA. Also, the funding fee which has been mentioned. Another thing to consider is future refinance options. FHA loan would be more flexible to refinance int he future. Check with BB&T. We just bought a new house last year and they were offering a program with $500 down, same low rate as FHA/USDS and no PMI!

10. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

You are right PKC :) & BB&T has the CHIP program you are talking about..Great program!

11. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Thank You for all that info. Now I understand the differences better.

12. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

USDA have big steaks in the whole process. SOmetimes we have to meat the USDA half way to consider if you are right for the mortgage. No nead to make a misteak.

13. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

lol....DS already was approved, he got his cut!