WE ARE BEING RAPED AT THE GAS PUMPS!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dgsatman, May 6, 2011.

1. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

It's hard to talk about sending letters to politicians without involving politics.

I know you were just messin' with us KellBell, but I too hate the way things always turn ugly on this board.

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Me to.

:grouphug::shock::roll::banghead::popcorn::x:nopity::jester::allears::mrgreen::iagree::ack:

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

His wreckless economic policy leads us into more debt, the selling of treasuries to other countries and ultimately the printing of more money by the fed.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Fortunately not everyone buys your line http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54448.html

5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Only because the general American is ignorant when it comes to economics and how gas prices are manipulated. Anybody that disagrees with what is quoted above needs to proceed to the American Idiol thread to avoid embarrassment. Good grief that is weak even for you, Hughey.. :oops:

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  6. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

7. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

I loved this: "30 percent blamed a combination of greed, profit and speculation..." They actually got it right. Imagine that ...a business wanting a profit.

Oil companies are just like the rest of us, they want as much money as they can get. Their stockholders are people just like me and you, your parent's pension fund, etc. Why should they give anyone a free ride? Why should they sell it to us for $3 when China or India will pay $4? They won't, and anyone who expects them to is living in a fantasy world. Demand for gas will go up for the rest of our lives. If supply can't keep up, then we all better get used to ever increasing gas prices. If we subsidize the price like some countries, we will have to keep it up indefinitely. Is that what we want?

We only have to look at Nixon's price controls to see what happens when we try to hold the price of gasoline at a certain level ...long lines at the gas pumps and stations with no gas.

The answer is fuel efficiency. We are smart enough and it is only a matter of time.

8. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  9. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

Did I miss something? I'm a simple kind of guy, but it appears to be supply and demand playing out in a capitalist economy. You heard of carpooling to work? I drive solo everyday and so does my wife. And the other 1000s driving on 1-40 with us. Cut the demand and the price will drop. Simple, 9th grade economics.

10. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

Having a close friend who was kidnapped and raped repeatedly before being released, I object to your comparing the insanity of gas prices to rape. When a word that connotes sexual violence is used to describe prices, it lessens the impact of the word.

11. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

Although I am sorry about what happened to your friend, as a point of fact, rape also means to plunder which describes the author's point.

12. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

:iagree:

If you believe the oil companies are not reputable, then make sure you have no investments in oil stocks and purchase an electric car. That will show them. However, I think it would be a lot smarter to invest more of your money into oil. Then every time you fill up, you could consider it as adding to your retirement rather than putting yourself in the poorhouse.

:jester:

13. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

drill here, refine here = independence from foreign oil + jobs out the wazoo

The U.S. Department of the Interior estimates the total volume of undiscovered, technically recoverable prospective resources in all areas of the United States, including the Federal Outer Continental Shelf, the 1002 area of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, the National Petroleum Reserve–Alaska, and the Bakken Formation, total 134 billion barrels (21.3×10^9 m3) of crude oil. This excludes oil shale reserves, as there is no significant commercial production of oil from oil shale in the United States.

U.S. crude production peaked in 1970 at 9.6 million barrels per day (1.53×10^6 m3/d), after the supergiant Prudhoe Bay field was found in Alaska. It has declined 47% to 5.1 million barrels per day (810×10^3 m3/d) by 2006.

Because of declining production and increasing demand, Net US imports of oil and petroleum products increased by 400% from 3.16 million barrels per day (502×10^3 m3/d) in 1970 to 12.04 million barrels per day (1.914×10^6 m3/d) in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves_in_the_United_States

14. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

First: I don't have any idea what "ujp" means. Second: I was only repeating what our president has to say about the higher gas prices. I am with you on the financing.

15. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Unfortunately it's a little more than that as oil isn't a supply/demand good like everything else on the market.

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

$66.22 today for my 4Runner.
    17.432 gallons - it was PAST the "E"
    $3.79/gal @ DR Wells (which I usually NEVER go there for gas)

:ack::ack::ack::ack::ack::ack::ack:
    :boxing::boxing::boxing:

DH said "damn honey I thought your truck WAS fuel efficient" :?

17. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Economics

In 2006 I stop beleiving in true economics. Progress preached conserving so they would not have to build another reactor at Shearon Harris. To offset the loss in revenue from people using less electricity they wanted to put in for a rate increase from the reulatory commission.
    Use less electricity and have to pay more?

18. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Well that isn't a good example given utility companies are essentially a monopoly. I remember the same being said about water conservation during the drought.

19. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Well that isn't a good example given utility companies are essentially a monopoly. I remember the same being said about water conservation during the drought.

thank you canis. I was about to respond the same. Now, how bout the per mile charge on driving. MPG is getting better so we are losing more tax dollars to the gas tax. Electric won't even pay road tax.

20. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

GO hug a tree. That is just stupid. RAPE RAPE RAPE!!! It's just a word. Your friend had an action! Now Shooo