Good place for oysters?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by LovingLife10, May 7, 2011.

1. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

There is another tread on this, but it is pretty old. Thought I'd try for some updated info. I know they are out of season right now, but what are some good restaurants for steamed oysters. Shuckem shack and 42nd street get such mixed reviews. What do you guys think?

2. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

It's a drive, but Silver Lake outside of Wilson is the best place to get steamed oysters and shrimp, imo. They bring them out and shuck/peel them for you. They are pretty reasonable too. We took 6 people last time and 3 got a plate off of the menu and the rest of us got steamed oysters and shrimp and we didn't break $100 and two of us got beers.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Ratings on travel guide and my travel advisor show a different story. When was your latest visit there?

4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Knighdale Seafood and Bar-B-Q.

Shuck-em Shack in White Oak

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

If you are referring to my post, I was there in Feb. and again in March.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's been a couple years since we went to Silverlake, they were pretty darned good then. Glad to hear they still are, I want to go back. :cheers:

7. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

I personally don't eat them, but we've had dinner with lots of friends at McCormicks & Schmicks at Crabtree Valley who say the oysters there are wonderful. Their website is http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/locations/raleigh-north-carolina/glenwoodave/menus.aspx They fly fresh selections in daily and therefore print menus daily, but you can get an idea of what they offer. Anytime I want seafood, I go to McCormicks. It isn't cheap, but I've never had a bad meal there.

8. Casceysmom

Casceysmom Guest

I refuse to go to the Shuck em Shack again! All we got was a small bucket and they said it was a peck! I love the Knightdale Seafood. They are definately the best and alwasy treat you great!

9. LovingLife10

We ended up trying out shuck em shack. It definitely has a beachy feel from the decor to the service. If you are expecting top notch, on the ball service, you won't find it here. They have a much more laid back attitude, which is the service you get at a lot of beach joints. Didn't bother us at all.

The oysters and crab legs were very good. My biggest complaint would be about the shuck em yourself advertisement. The menu stated that you could save money by shucking them yourself. Instead of asking ahead of time if you want to save money and shuck them yourself, they bring them out unshucked and ask if you want to pay extra to have them shucked. I know it is just symantics, but the wording leads you to believe it will be done unless you tell them you want to do it yourself. My husband shucked them simply because he didn't want to send them back to be shucked and have to wait longer for the food. We also had the peel and eat shrimp and wings. Wouldn't order them again. They weren't bad; they just weren't great.

If I have another hankering for oysters or crab legs, I would go back because it's so close and the oysters and crab legs were just as good as any other place. I wouldn't go back for anything else though.

10. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

I am not a shuck'em fan only because the oysters are so dirty on the outside. Blahh.. LOL Now I did go and they asked me before did I want to shuck them (em) and I knew I could save and said yes. They did not tell me why but thankfully my friend knew. I think you had a bad server to not even ask you. The old bay shrimp was great and wonderful taste and clean shrimp (lol), but nasty oysters on the shell with stuff still hanging on them from the ocean was disgusting. I will probably never get them there again and just go to Tony's Oyster Bar again next time.

11. LovingLife10

Yeah, my husband just told me the oyster shells were rather dirty. We had the shrimp and ours were over cooked. They were kinda tough, and that's not how we like them. The flavor was good though, and we got the lemon pepper. I also prefer deveined peel and eat shrimp, and their's had huge veins in them. Like i said before, they weren't bad, but I can make them better at home. Where is Tony's? I wouldn't mind trying another place.

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Tony's Oyster Bar is in Cary, at MacGregor Village.

http://tonysoysterbar.com/

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I haven't been in awhile, but originally it was printed on the menu the cost differences between the shuck your own or to have them do the shucking. Also at the time they were always shucked at your table in front of you.

14. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

The Ocean

15. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

They actually bring them out unshucked and the server will stand there and shuck them for you now... They do a few at a time and then come back and shuck more dirty oysters. LOL

16. CraigSPL

With the exception of shucking a few and leaving them coming back that is the way it has always been. And what I though I was conveying in my post.

17. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Yes, You were... with a 3 yr old trying to get into a brand new open bag of doritos on my bar, and visions of them all landing on the floor I mistakenly "quoted" your info instead of lovinglife's. :)

18. LovingLife10

Yes, that is still how they do it, but the wording on the menu is....
    "save $2 if you shuck a 1/2 peck yourself." The actual price listed is the shucked price, which leads you to believe they will be shucked unless you request to save money. That was not the case. The server dropped them off and left. When she came back to the table and we hadn't touched the oysters yet, she then asked if we wanted to "pay extra to have them shucked," which is not what them menu stated.

Again, it's semantics, but I don't like the idea of paying extra to have them shucked. I am okay with being able to request to save money by DIY, but the server should be more clear that they will not come out shucked.

19. CraigSPL

Fixed your post, as the price listed on the menu is the unshucked price and it will cost you an additional $2 more if you want the server to shuck them, which btw is the way our party took it to mean the first time we were there.

20. LovingLife10

You do not need to fix my post, as it doesn't need fixing. The price listed for a dozen oysters was $11.99. Above that it said, "shuck yourself, save $2." The charge on our bill after shucking ourselves was $9.99. Maybe the waitress was wrong, but that is how she did it.

No where does the menu say, "we charge you to shuck." It just says you can save by doing it yourself. I was there two nights ago. Maybe it changed since you went last. Idk.