Little flying bugs coming from drains?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, May 10, 2011.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Anybody else got these annoying little flying bugs? They appear to be coming from the drains. They are aggravating!

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Yes I do, and yes they are!!! They are similar ( maybe same) to fruit flies. Spray will kill them, but get rid of the food source to get rid of them.

3. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-drain-flies.htm

This article might help you (except it says that those flies are cute. :ack:). We get those drain flies once in a while. Annoying little things. I guess they are different from fruit flies because they aren't attracted to food.

"Drain flies, when they are in the house, most commonly lay their eggs (10–200 of them) in the organic matter (e.g., hair, grease, food, sludge, etc.) that builds up in your drain pipes."

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

GAG!!! :ack:

5. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

I wonder if the baking soda, white vinegar & boiling hot water cleaning would kill the flies and fly eggs? I do this every couple of weeks just to keep my drains running smooth & its good for the septic system. (plus its fun to watch the baking soda fizz...) :)

6. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

We do that every month and are never bothered with these little pest!

7. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

You can catch the easy, put a tea cup out with a half inch of cider vinegar in there, add 1 drop of dish soap liquid. the gnats get in it and cant get out.

8. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

I used the vinegar , cover with plastic wrap and poke holes with fork. bugs get in and cant get out.
    don't know if they are drain flies or fruit flies(seem to like my tomatoes and stuff but also hang out in bathroom).

9. Jack E

Jack E Guest

You may be seeing psychoda flies, I have found these to be the most common problem with drains in thirty some years of maintenance experience. They are a common nuisance around wastewater plants that incorporate Trickling Filters for biological removal. Usually these are not a problem with well drained waste lines and a properly operating trap under the sink. These are a very common fly seen in public restrooms crawling or flying around the floor drains.

http://www.pestid.msu.edu/InsectsArthropods/Mothfliesordrainflies/tabid/283/Default.aspx