WE ARE BEING RAPED AT THE GAS PUMPS!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dgsatman, May 6, 2011.

1. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

How about every single person in the US stay home for a week the same week? Then we could show them real quick. One week of losing a billion doallrs a day would send a pretty powerful message.

and P.S. I don't give a flying donkey fart about anyones economic opinions. All I care about is today gas IS below 100.00 dollars a barrel. 2 years ago Gas was 150.00 a barrel and gas was not even 3 dollars yet. SO Take the econimic opinions....wrap them up in a nice little wad....and mail them to me. I need more toilet paper. Idiots!

Thanks....I'll be here all day!

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

On July 11, 2008, oil prices rose to a new record of $147.27. Average US gas price spiked at $4.12/gal about July 15th, 2008.

Only thing holding prices up is cheap money from the U.S. Federal Reserve, which is fueling tremendous speculation by the Banks and Hedge funds, due to leverage available to them.

Thank Uncle Sam for the "Artificial Inflation!"

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. ServerSnapper

Ummm Go back two years...Then come back.

5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Are you saying oil was $150/barrel two years ago?

6. ServerSnapper

7. ServerSnapper

http://useconomy.about.com/od/supply/p/oil_gas_prices.htm

Gas and Oil Prices - How Oil Prices Affect Gas Prices

[​IMG] (Credit: Mark Renders / Getty Images)

What Causes High Oil Prices?:

Like most of the things you buy, oil prices are affected by supply and demand. More demand, like the summer driving season, drives higher prices. There is usually less demand in the winter, since only the Northeast U.S. uses heating oil. However, oil prices are also affected by oil price futures, which are traded on the commodities exchange. These prices fluctuate daily, depending on what investors think the price of oil will be going forward.
    What Affects Oil Supply?:

OPEC is an organization of 12 oil-producing countries that produce 46% of the world's oil. In 1960, they formed an alliance to regulate the supply, and to some extent, the price of oil. These countries realized they had a non-renewable resource. If they competed with each other, the price of oil would be so low that they would run out sooner than if oil prices were higher.
    OPEC's goal is to keep the price of oil at around $70 per barrel. A higher prices gives other countries the incentive to drill new fields which are too expensive to open when prices are low.

The U.S. stores 700 million barrels of oil in the Strategic Petroleum Reserves. This can be used to increase supply when necessary, such as after Hurricane Katrina. It is also used to ward off the possibility of political threats from oil-producing nations.
    The U.S. also imports oil from non-OPEC member Mexico. This makes it less dependent on OPEC oil. NAFTA is a free trade agreement that keeps the price of oil from Mexico low, since it reduces trade tariffs.

What Affects Oil Demand?:

The U.S. uses 20% of the world's oil. Two-thirds of this is for transportation. This is a result of the country's vast network of Federal highways leading to suburbs built in the 1950s. This decentralization was in response to the threat of nuclear attack, which was a great concern then. As a result, the country has not developed the infrastructure for a national mass transit system.
    The European Union EU is the next biggest user, at 15% of the world's oil production. China only uses 10%, but its use has grown rapidly. (Source: BP Statistical Review of World Energy, CIA World Factbook)

What Affects Oil Price Futures?:

Oil futures, or futures contracts, are agreements to buy or sell oil at a specific date in the future at a specific price. Traders in oil futures bid on the price of oil based on what they think oil will trade at. They look at projected supply and demand to determine the price. However, if traders think the price of oil will be high, they create a self-fulfilling prophecy by bidding up oil prices. This can create high oil prices even when there is plenty of supply on hand. Once this starts, other investors will bid on oil prices just like any other commodity, such as gold, creating an asset bubble.
    How Do Oil Prices Affect Gasoline Prices?:

Crude oil accounts for 55% of the price of gasoline, while distribution and taxes influence the remaining 45%. Usually, distribution and taxes are stable, so that the daily change in the price of gasoline accurately reflects oil price fluctuations. Occasionally, however, distribution lines are disrupted or are down for maintenance, which can increase the price of gasoline even when oil prices are down. (Updated July 13, 2010)

Oil Prices Related Articles

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I have fought this battle and feel your pain. :?

10. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I don't remember the show on TV but. In 2008, The largest "oil company" in the US was a spectulator. They owned no drilling rigs, pipes, holding tanks, nor trucks to haul. They did, however, own futures. Sorry I can't be specific with names, but that was the conclusion in 08. So, cheap money / interest, it will happen again.

11. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Perhaps I need to re-examine my position on this subject. :jester:

12. ServerSnapper

:beathorse:

13. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Can I invest in speculating the speculations of the speculators who speculate oil? Therein lays the idiocy of Wall Street.

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

UP TEN CENTS TODAY, No KY, No reach-around, nothing.

15. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

:cheers: Not even a beer!

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

price per barrel fell 5.5 bucks today to close at 98 and change. fell so much that some sort of market "breaker switch" to avoid drastic drops in price came into play as trading was halted for a short time

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unfortunately due to flooding in the delta I do not expect gas to drop any time soon.

I think most refineries are back in operation after switching back from wintertime gas.

18. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

yep

19. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

20. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned