Need opinions

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, May 11, 2011.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Okay, DH went to the dentist this morning at 40/42. He had been about a year ago to a different dentist. He went today b/c he's been in pain. Turns out he has two cracked crowns w/ teeth essentially rotting underneath from the leaking crown. We need a solution. Apparently, they don't do a payment plan. Well, they do...sort of. They consider applying for the dental credit card a payment plan. Anyhow, I need to know if this is a fair charge for the work as this is new territory for us. Also, if there are any other possible solutions to fixing these two teeth. At this point, he said he may just have to pull them and be in pain for a few months till we can get the money. The price for 2 dental implants, removal of the crowns & such for two teeth is $7,640! We were truly in shock. That's more than braces! Does anyone on here have experience w/ dental implants? Are they supposed to be the price of a car? He's had a couple crowns before & they around a thousand or so. I know dental care is expensive. I'm not disputing that fact. Remember, he's had crowns before & they've cost us an arm & a leg. Just never thought that was going to be the price. Are there any other options out there whatsoever. BTW, every single crown he's ever gotten has failed. Now, they've offered a discount if we can get it done in the summer. Amounts to $1600 off the price. However, no way we can get the money by then. Suggestions would be welcomed. Not really in the mood for debates though. Thanks in advance. We have no experience w/ dental implants.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

DH had to have an implant a couple years ago. It's a long story, but it wasn't oral health neglect that led to it, the dentist went to fill a small cavity, the enamel was thinner than normal and oops, now he needed a root canal. In the middle of the root canal stuff, DH cracked the tooth and needed an implant. The implant surgery etc was well over $3000, out of pocket. Cusamano did the implant.

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Coasta Rico Dental Tourism.

Round trip airfare -@$500.00
    Hotel - @$50.00/day (includes GREAT breakfast buffet) lets say 10 days = $500.00.
    Implant - $500.00 each.
    Crowns- $250.00 each

For your 2 implants and crowns - Total -$2500.00

This assumes you have the time to do this. Of course, you can take time off work for the money you save.

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

5. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

For that kind of money I'd have to consider having all of the teeth on that level pulled and getting dentures.

6. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

He considered it but it is one on the top, one on the bottom...same side. We're going to try a few places. Timing could NOT be worse for this. Never is good timing though, is it? Going to call UNC & a few other places folks suggested. BTW, on FB I received a few comments were people have gone to Mexico w/ no problems and cheaper care for the SAME thing. Hey, have to check this stuff out at the least. However, the thought of him going to Mexico for dental care sounds a little scary. I want this fixed before I fly out of country on June 11th. Keep the suggestions coming as we're checking them ALL out. Thanks.

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10)

7. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

8. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I'm with u on being leary of Mexico but I would go to Costa Rica in a heartbeat! My brother was going to move there. Its beautiful.
    Its unbelievable how much more we pay for medical procedures here in the U.S. I guess its because of all the medical malpractice law suits!!!!!

DB's wife[/QUOTE]

Actually, all the "clinics" that I am aware of in Costa Rica are in San Jose., the Capital. Very much a "third world" type atmosphere, slums, bars on ALL windows and doors, security guards, etc. Nothing beautiful about San Jose, or Jaco Beach, as far as I'm concerned. There is time to do some of the "tourist" sites, but all in all, I was there for the dental work.

There are clinics in Cancun, which is where I'm thinking about going to next time. The prices are a little higher than in Costa Rica, but at least you're in a resort area, and don't have to travel 2+ hours to the beach.

Whatever you do, do your research. I was pleased with the work that I had done in Costa Rica, and the actual cost of just the work was about 1/3 of what it would be locally.

9. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I don't know anything personally about clinics in Costa Rica but I have heard its common to go there.

As far as the beauty of Costa Rica I was referring to Liberia, Costa Rica.

DB's wife