Scotty Event - Saturday

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DAH22, May 12, 2011.

1. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Anyone follow and coming out to the event Saturday (if/when) he makes it thru tonight?

2. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I think I am going out there with my family. I haven't really been a scotty fan, but I am proud that someone who made it this far in the competition is local. I just think it will be neat to see in person the hometown celebration I've seen on television for years. The only thing I am dreading is parking!

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Who's Scotty and what's he on?

4. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

After all the hype, my wife and I finally broke down and watched American Idol last night. Maybe it is better if you follow them the whole season, but we just saw one good performer with very good potential, and three pretty good karaoke singers.

In other words, you ain't missed much.

5. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

You better wish you had Scottys talent! He will be a recording artist making millions before he's 20. OR maybe Scotty was the one good performer and the other three were pretty good karaoke singers! GO SCOTTY!!

6. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

I think you have to enjoy a show like American Idol first and then see their progress from the beginning. He is a good kid, that worked at Lowe's food, played baseball at Garner and talented. It is fun to see a regular guy make it this far and to see his talent nationally. He has good morals which can be hard to find and prayerfully does not change. :)
    I think he has a great voice and very entertaining. He also seems amazing comfortable in front of the audience and camera. I wish him GREAT success! My daughter who is eight LOVES him. LOL

7. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

DAH, I think you are probably right on that one. I've watched the previous seasons from beginning to end and I think I did get caught up in the made-for-TV hype and thought they were much better than they actually were.
    The formula for AI winners and runner-ups seem pretty much to run the same, Sell a boatload of music for the first release, significantly less for the 2nd, maybe/maybe not a 3rd release, and then no record label and a footnote to AI history. A few exceptions, but not many.

So yeah, it is probably not a good idea to watch for the first time when they are down to four and just be the grouch on the couch realizing that you've been falling for the AI hook all these years:well-produced music paired with glorified karaoke singers.

8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

http://www.wral.com/entertainment/page/9579170/

Scotty comes home
    Up to 30,000 people are expected at Garner's Lake Benson Park Saturday for Scotty's homecoming celebration.

WRAL will have updates throughout the day as Scotty visits:

Radio interviews between 8 and 9 a.m.
    AT&T Store, 7055 White Oak Road in Garner at 9:30 a.m.
    Garner High School, 2101 Spring Drive, at 10:30 a.m.
    Lowes Foods, 1845 Aversboro Road, at 1:40 p.m.
    Lake Benson Park, 921 Buffaloe Road, at 2 p.m.
    NC State baseball game, 1081 Varsity Drive in Raleigh, at 6 p.m.

9. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

It was awesome and Scotty is a winner, AI or not! Watch WRAL taping of his concert- he did several songs and Josh Turner came too (at his own expense, I heard). the kid is only 17, has sung at church and Clayton Harvestfest and Clayton Idol, now on a huge stage in front of millions ,technically- totally amazed how he is so professional. If you don't like country music, well than you might not see all the hype but he has a lot of talent and is making his mark. GO SCOTTY!!!!

10. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

He is a good kid with a true love for God and his family. He did a great job!

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does Scotty sound like a Muppet?

His voice sounds ridiculous when you see how he looks. I am real happy for his success and Garner's notoriety, however I see the town spent $61,000 to put that event on. I hope they saw some economic return in the current cut-spending climate. I hope in the long run it is good for Garner.

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Most of the money was donated and raised by local businesses and individuals.
    I read somewhere on Saturday that the towns portion was only in the 12K range. I dont remember the exact number, give or take 2K.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's just you. He's 17 for God's sake, give him a break.

I don't watch AI, but I would think that nothing but good can come out of having postive attention on Garner.

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I think he's got a great voice and will probably be a fixture in the country music business in the very near future.

But if that doesn't work out, he could always be a spokesman for Mad Magazine. ;)

15. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:lol::lol:

16. KellBell

He's a great kid and a great role model. I know if I were from Garner I would be very proud.

17. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

:iagree:

But, what I said. ;)

18. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with how he looks- and what was spent- ?- most of the town employees probably got OT no doubt but alot was volunteer. The Town did an awesome job from start to finish. Free advertising for alot of companies and a positive light on a small city, priceless.
    Just goes to show you never know who is bagging your groceries or standing in line at Bojangles in front of you-

19. KellBell

I already laughed at you and your comments. I even quoted ya. :p

20. steve

steve Well-Known Member

If he's not ruined by the life and the industry scumbag machine, he has the opportunity for a career that will give him and many other's pleasure while securing his financial future. I wish him the best even though what he does is not my cup of tea. He's talented. He's a one trick pony at this point but it's a GREAT trick and with his easy self assuredness he could branch out into other areas of the entertainment world. I hope he'll find , in this order, an ethical and wily attorney, ditto accountant, ditto management. Ethical, I realize that's a lot to ask. :jester:

As for karaoke singers... I had stopped watching but this year there has been some actual talent, and with the new judges it's not like the Lawrence Welk show as it was painfully becoming. It's been more contemporary and diversified.

Of course, Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez... the greatest butt in entertainment, have been a great addition.:lol: