Wedding Advice....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Bren, May 12, 2011.

1. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Kaci, I'm ready to hear your money saving suggestions. (I just read the thread from a couple of years ago). My DD is getting married next year and we're finding out that you'd better go ahead and book a venue at least a year in advance. Any suggestions? We've been told about Barclay Villa, Rosedown Plantation, The Barrington House, The Matthews House, Landmark, and Haywood Hall. Some of those are already booked for the time we're looking and I'm still waiting to hear from some of the others.

We're looking at about 150 people. Don't want anything super fancy. I am just shocked at how much everything costs. If anyone has any recommendations for florist, DJ, caterer, etc., please pass them on to me!!

Thanks!

Brenda

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Don't forget our beloved Steve is a DJ that works the area.

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

don't

The End

:lol:

4. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

Oh geez : )

5. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

:lol:
    I was thinking the same thing...just 2 not 2 !!!!

6. Roadman

Roadman Member

Wedding

My wife is a free-lance florist who works directly with wholesalers and does the work from our home so she doesn't have the same overhead as a traditional florist and is able to charge less. You can see some of her work at www.greenehousedesigns.net (show up better through firefox). Email her at greenehousedesigns@gmail.com if interested.

7. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Dont forget about The Wagner House in Clayton..

cvfdcaptain is also a part time DJ, heard he was pretty good :jester:

Finding people that freelance or do photography as a hobbie will be cheaper just ask to see some of there work before you book them..

Good Luck

8. wildcatmom7

wildcatmom7 Guest

My step daughter just got married at River landing golf course, in Wallace NC..1 hr drive. but we had 250 people heavy ordourves, includes renting the place for the whole day can get dress there, have locker rooms and a cash bar. cost around 7500.00. so im sure it would be cheaper for u if only 150 people..

9. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! And thanks to those of you who PM'd me. I am going to write all these down and start going through the ideas with my daughter. Don't be surprised if some of you hear from me!! :lol:

And to Hotwire, you're going to be hearing a lot about this wedding!! 8)

10. cece

cece Well-Known Member

1) Make your own invitations

2) Do your own flowers. you can buy calla lilies off of the Sam's Club website and just wrap them together with ribbons the day of the wedding. Just make sure you do your research and pick a flower that will last throughout the day and not be too flimsy.

or use in season flowers....a big saver!!

3) If you know someone who bakes well, arrange with them to make the cake (you can even make it a tier cake)

4) Use in season things for decorating. Think simple...

5 )If you know someone who takes good photos, ask them to do the photos. They may not be so professional, but sometimes they are much better then the professional. It's cheaper and easier to make multiples.

6) Afternoon reception - no dinner - just appetizers - this family and friends can help with

7) Have friends that are musicians? There ya go --- or... iTunes.. .and forget the DJ

8) YARD SALES!!!!! What do people do with all that stuff they bought for their wedding???? or Borrow, borrow, borrow.

9) If you have a home church using your own pastor - Often there is no charge for using the church's facilities if you are a member and your pastor will probably be more than happy to provide pre-marital counseling and the ceremony at no cost.
    Have the reception here as well... Only decorating one place... And no limo necessary

11. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Oh please. His totally misguided political leanings aside, Steve is one of the best DJ's in the area. Might even break out his spandex if you ask nicely.

12. granola acres mayor

granola acres mayor Well-Known Member

cake

I would be happy to make the cake for your DD. just let me know , ill get with her to see what she wants. my gift to her and soon to be.

13. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Craigslist! You would be amazed at the amazing deals you can find on wedding stuff. As someone else mentioned lots of times the bride will sell the decorations, etc. once the wedding is over.

Also, use Michael's coupons for 40 to 50% to buy as much as you can. And, believe it or not, The Dollar Tree has lots of things for wedding favors, etc.

14. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Bren, I'm not trying to push myself AT ALL... but get a dj or a band with a member who is personality driven and has some wedding experience.

A good dj doesn't just play music. He makes announcements, moves your related events along in an organized manner (introduction of bridal party, bouquets, garter, toasts, first dances etc.) and makes a smooth reception.

Ask yourself if in 10 or 20 years your daughter will remember how enjoyable her reception was for her and her guests or that she saved a few hundred bucks. Then find a dj or band you can best afford and you have chemistry with and hire them. Some things you don't skimp on, or shouldn't. :)

go to my website and download the FREE..NO OBLIGATION reception questionnaire. It will be helpful to you. www.stevepartys.com

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  15. steve

steve Well-Known Member

thanks for the kind words.:)

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I second this.....the DJ that did my wedding was terrible because we tried to cut costs in that one area. Huge mistake. Dude was playing stuff my dad could have gotten out of his car. :ack:

17. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve! I've heard some good things about you and would love to get together with you and my DD to discuss this.

Brenda

18. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Awww, that's so sweet of you!! But I think she has already gotten someone to do it for her. I'll let her know what you said though, in case I'm wrong.

19. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:cheers:

20. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Expanded on this great post...my replies are in red.