Snapping turtle and slugs(?)

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, May 16, 2011.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Snapping turtle and leeches(?)

Just took this a couple of minutes ago,near our small pond,don't tell me the nasty things attached to it's shell could actually be leeches? :ack::ack:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. AnnetteL

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't know what is on it's shell,but that is just a box turtle, not a snapping turtle. 8)

4. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

What kind of turtle has orange and yellow on it's shell

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Are they spots? There is an endangered spotted turtle here in NC. (we caught one not knowing it was endangered, let her go as soon as we realized) Otherwise, it's probably just a terrapin.

DS was obsessed with turtles for years, we still have a red-earred slider as a pet.

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Looks like a leech to me. Harmless. We used to fish with them up north. Leathery little fellas and fun to play with. Less creepy than ticks, actually.

7. AnnetteL

That's what my husband told me also,they used to go swimming in a lake in Maine and come out covered in them,sprinkled salt on them to make them fall off :ack:

8. AnnetteL

I'm not so sure,you couldn't see the head on the other two pictures,it did have those webbed looking feet and it snapped at me :lol:
    [​IMG]

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

They're really not that bad. It is more like a tiny little suction cup that leaves an abrasion. It isn't like a needle where the stick it in and suck your blood. In fact, you can stick a spare one to your thumbnail while fishing so you don't have to go digging around in the bait bucket when the fish take your bait. Also, if you cut one down the middle (halfway, longways) each of the two new 'heads' will grow back fully.

10. AnnetteL

That just sounds so irresistible,can't wait to try either one :mrgreen:
    I know they used to use them in medieval as well as modern medicine.

11. AnnetteL

12. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm looking at the shell, all aquatic turtles have webbed feet. :cheers: Our red earred slider snaps and is big enough to take a chunk out of you if you aren't careful, trust me, LOL.

I just saw a snapping turtle at the end of our road this morning, they are really, REALLY ugly.

[​IMG] Love some turtles.......but these.........not so much! ; ) I didn't take that pic, but that is what they look like.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

15. AnnetteL

16. AnnetteL

You're right,that does look ugly!
    Only weird thing is that if the one I saw is a land turtle where did it pick up those nasty leeches?