Southeastern Crowned Snake

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jul 1, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I like them out in the wild, where they belong. I ain't after keeping no snake as a pet. NOOOO!!

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

They sure have a wide noggin that's for sure. Bet he's got some healthy venom glands. The first time I saw a gaboon I was amazed at their coloration pattern and their skin almost looks like velvet. Seems like I remember one of them almost having a Carolina blue tone to its stripes. You don't see that many. I think I've seen two gaboons total.

KDC, I agree about keeping snakes as pets in most cases..especially venomous ones. However, the contrictors just seem to prefer to eat and sleep. I guess snakes could get bored, too, though. If there was a case of a snake belonging in the wild, it probably would be the King Cobra. It seemed much more intelligent than the other snakes, wanting to hunt and explore. I'm not sure any glass enclosure is big enough...about like trying to keep a bald eagle in an aviary. Just doesn't seem right. However, if one specimen helps conservation efforts (and is treated well) for an entire species, I could see a benefit. My respect for the King Cobra was amplified that day.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I know exactly the place you are talking about. We took DS there a couple years ago, and I spent the entire time being freaked out, LOL. I wish some of these zoos, etc would do more to make the habitats more natural, but I guess the money only goes so far. I personally hate most zoos, etc and prefer not to go. I realize they have their educational purposes, but I hate to see wild animals caged up.

(I don't go to circus's, I am that opposed to training "wild" animals for entertainment)

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I just got that funny feeling.....

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

In the past I've owned several Bearded Dragons, African Fat Tail Geckos and currently own 2 Ball Pythons, a Corn snake, and a Columbian Red Tail Boa.

Would like to have a Gaboon, any of the assorted tree boas/pythons, a Frilled Dragon, and last but not least a Caiman.

Wife says no to the Gaboon and Caiman......something about the Caiman eating small children and animals. :mrgreen:

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, there was a pet store over in Rocky Mount about 20 years ago that had a baby caiman swimming around inside of a ornamental pond at the front of their store where ANYBODY could have stuck their hand in there...including kids. It was a fairly little thing, but I know it would have given a nasty bite to a small toddler with no sense of danger there. To make matters worse, it was in Tarrytown Mall at the front entrance.

7. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Yea...I just moved my feet from the floor up onto my chair. I was about to go outside and work in the yard but am re-thinking that now!!

Last week, DH and I cleared out some overgrown branches and vines behind our storage barn. The next morning we found a snake skin on the other side of the barn...so I'm HOPING we scared it OUT!! My FIL has killed two in his yard the past couple of weeks and my neighbors killed a Copperhead down at their horse barn over the weekend.

I DO NOT LIKE THEM HERE OR THERE, I DO NOT LIKE THEM ANYWHERE!:shock:

8. CraigSPL

I've seen the term Chainsaw with an attitude used to describe caimans several times in the past.

9. CraigSPL

BTW....i've noticed that Hat has been absent in this thread....wonder why.

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Any snake I see = DEATH :ack::ack::ack:

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I don't why, but that struck me funny. :lol: About the same with me and especially so if I find a venomous one in my yard. With a kid and a dog, it's gotta be taken out.

12. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about him and his snake just the other day! Did he ever find it?

13. CraigSPL

<----is the Steve Irwin of the Cul de sac. When any of our neighbors find a snake or see a snake they send the kids running to get me, as they know I'll relocate any of them, venomous or not.

14. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Good. How long would it take you to get to my house? LOL