40/42 is a mess, stay away

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by On the go, May 19, 2011.

1. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

If you are planning to head to the 4042 area, DON'T!

2. On the go

There is an accident on 42 at 40. It looks to be blocking both lanes on the eastbound side. Traffic is backed up pretty far on 42.

3. mgzd

mgzd Well-Known Member

Speaking of accidents, does anyone know if the driver, that looked to have rear ended a dump truck on Wednesday around 6pm on Cleveland School Rd between 42 and 50, is OK?
    It wasn't pretty.

4. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

^ I saw that on the news and it did not look good. I sure hope the driver made it.

5. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

I live there in the neighborhood where the accident happened. The dump truck with the trailer was in the neighborhood. The guy in the silver car was heading towards Hwy 50 on Cleveland when the dump truck pulled out in front of him making a left turn. The car didn't have time to stop but his tires left screech marks. I'm pretty sure the truck driver was charged. The guy in the car was in bad shape is all could see and haven't heard anything more:-(

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I subscribe to this theory more often than not. I despise what that interchange has turned in to.

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I agree, and would someone please tell me what the purpose of a YELLOW ARROW is? Ticks me off everytime I go thru there.

8. On the go

There is always some ding dong who stops in the intersection.

9. alen

alen Well-Known Member

Ding dongs indeed!

10. jtm

jtm Well-Known Member

At least in the case of the light on eastbound 42, turning onto Glen Rd: When the yellow arrow is flashing, it is saying "ha, ha, you'll never get the right of way to make your turn". Then, when the arrow turns to solid yellow (but you don't really notice that because you think it's just one of the flashes of yellow), it is saying "see, I told you!" And then it turns to red, and you realize you're still sitting there from the last time the light was red.

11. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

There was a clip on the 11 o'clock news last Thursday night (I think) about him and it said he was in critical condition at Wake Med, but he is going to make it. They interviewed his dad as well who said it's going to be a long recovery, but he will live. :hurray:

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

the flashing yellow arrow means you can proceed with caution. meaning if it's flashing, you can make a left turn, but you have to yield....

14. Ksokol22

Ksokol22 Well-Known Member

According to my teacher from driver's ed a couple years ago, a yellow arrow is like a yield sign.

15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Red light = stop
    Green light = go
    Yellow light = floor it

16. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Excellent comparison.

17. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

:lol: My kids tell me to floor it when it turns yellow.

18. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

I have learned that there are some intersections which should never have that flashing yellow arrow. Some are so busy or so dangerous that the flashing yellow arrow should not be an option. It should be a green arrow for left turn lane - to a brief yellow light - to the red light.

Those busy or dangerous intersections just give those who already are daring drivers the opportunity to take more chances. If there is a few seconds between 2 oncoming vehicles they will try to make that left turn in between those 2 vehicles.

There's been more than once that I've watched a vehicle in front of me try to make that left turn and I've held my breathe waiting to see a major accident.

There's been more than once I've been driving up to a green light to go through the light and had a driver making a left turn across the intersection hesitate and wait until I'm almost at the intersection before they commit to the turn and across my path.

I slow down a lot more often now at intersections if someone is waiting to make a left turn ahead of me because you don't know what that driver is thinking in regards to his left turn and my driving through that intersection.