More Smithfield "news"

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, May 20, 2011.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Is this news?

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9602292/

Seems these kids were merely victims of having rich (uh, Smithfield-rich not Cary/Prestonwood-rich), well-known parents. I mean, what a rough life. It must be so hard for them, what to have to behave themselves so their parents don't look bad (while they are out of town). lol

http://www.wtsbradio.com/pages/localnews.html

Councilman’s Daughter Facing Charges

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

She has that "It doesn't matter what you say because Daddy is going to get me out of this" look on her face.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Be consistent. That's all I ask.

OK, so this brings to my mind the argument, why we consider an 18 year old mature enough to vote, die for their country, enter into binding contracts, marry....but not mature enough to decide for themselves if they should drink alcohol.

If 18 isn't old enough, then make the age of majority 21....
    If 18 is mature enough for those things I mentioned, then there should be no coddling of 18 yr olds.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It's been a while, but when back when it went from 21 to 18 wasn't the driving force behind it to keep these kids from drinking and driving?

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

She's 19. Why is this news worthy. Anonymous tip led to this issue. Damn old nags....

6. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Now that I have a married 19 year old step-daughter, I wish the drinking, voting, driving and age to get married would be moved up to 28 years old! I'm joking...sort of. :mrgreen: (I say that because she has then mentality of a 13 year old)

7. Hatteras6

So being in a war zone is a better choice? We can't keep those older than 21 from drinking and driving. Why pretend otherwise?

Yes, there are 18 year olds to immature for adult decisions. There are also 55 yr olds with the same lack of maturity.

Before I am take out of context, I do not support any drinking and driving. I make sure I have a designated driver or other option.

Is the age of majority 18 or not? That's all I ask.

8. Hatteras6

We all know folks like that. Some are in their 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and upwards.

Yet, we ask these 18yr olds to accept the responsibility of their choices...adult jail for crimes, possible loss of life for supporting and defending the nation. Why is it so difficult to allow them the privileges that should accompany the responsibilities?

9. Cleopatra

I dunno Hat, something tells me this girl and her friends won't be serving in the armed forces anytime soon. lol @ dchydiiny's comment.

To answer your question - along with privilege comes responsibilty. She is charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor - which means there were kids under 16. Are they serving in the military right now?

10. Hatteras6

I'm all for letting her face the music. She broke the law and should be given all of the attention from the justice system, just as any other ne'er do well that falls afoul of the lines, regardless of income or family.

I was mentioning the greater issue to me: those between 18-21. Under 18...almost a zero tolerance (religious exemptions, etc.)

11. Cleopatra

Are there bases that allow underage drinking for enlisted? I think that would be a good compromise, if they are responsible enough to take orders and die for their country - they ought to be able to have a beer. :cheers:

12. Hatteras6

I think that the overriding federal legislation precludes that. When I was in training in Oklahoma, back in the day, the federal age was 18, but the Okies required a 21. Peed me off that I was able to serve my country, but not get served in a bar.

13. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Best I recall, the Federal Government threatened to withhold highway funds to those states that refused to up the age to 21.

14. Hatteras6

You are correct, DG.

15. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you on this. The age should be 21 for everything in my opinion.

db's wife

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I attended so many parties like this at that age. Our parents were nobodies so we didn't make the news.8)

DB's wofe

17. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

At Camp Lejeune, there are signs on the windows marking that there are marines under 21 in the room, so no alcohol is allowed in that room. (Was the last time I was there about a year ago)

18. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I did too - problem is, back in those days, you (nor the parents) got ticketed!
    these days it's a lot more serious - as it should be :twisted:
    I do wonder if they changed the drinking age back to 18 for beer/wine and 21 for hard liquor if it would help? From what I see - when kids reach 21 they just go all-out drinking shots etc and some have no prior drinking experience, therefore don't realize how little it takes to get over intoxicated - or the dangers of it.

19. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

My two cents...

Drinking age should stay 21, UNLESS you provide a valid military ID, then you should be able to drink at 18.

20. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

It wouldn't matter if the legal age was 81, kids are going to drink.