Need ideas

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, May 23, 2011.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Okay, need some great thinkers out there to help me out. We fly out June 11th to go to Bulgaria to meet our 3 newest kids. 2 of them are at an older kids orphanage. They are 9yo and 10yo. The 10yo boy & his group is who I need ideas for. We'll be spending a few hours a day for about 3 days there. During this time, we'll need to think of some entertainment ideas. Thought about buying a soccer ball or something once I'm over there but not sure. What are some ideas to entertain a group of boys for a couple hours. They obviously do not speak English & I don't know enough Bulgarian. Has to be something light to pack as well. I had a friend take glowsticks the airline officials accused them of having "terrorist sticks." So glowing anything is out. LOL. Thanks in advance for any ideas you come up with.

On a separate note, we're collecting donations for the orphanages. We've been asking people for $2 or $4. Trying to raise $2000. That would allow us to give each orphanage $1000 to purchase much needed shoes, underwear, socks & other basics we take for granted. From what I hear, this is a poor orphanage w/ very little resources. Two of my kids came home from Russia w/ shoes 3 sizes too small & there's was not considered a "poor" orphanage. So, I can only imagine the condition of this one. If anyone would like to know more, feel free to write me. I guarantee it ALL goes to the kids as we're hand carrying it over there, going to the store & purchasing items ourselves. Thanks for letting me share.

Start the ideas coming w/ how to entertain kids in that age group that don't speak the same language.
    Take care,

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!)

2. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

You could buy a couple of inflatable balls and they could use them as soccer balls or to just hit them back and forth. You could get a number of them cheaply this time of year. My son and his friends have a blast just hitting them and kicking them around. Of course it becomes a competition to see how many times it can be hit around before it hits the floor. I love to play, too!

3. gillac

gillac Well-Known Member

You could pack lots of beach balls in a suitcase. What about punching balloons. They may not last long, but it could be fun. Would something like sidewalk chalk be allowed?

4. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Silly String... lots and lots of Silly String.. they sell it at Dollar Tree for a buck a can.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Can you take that on a flight????

6. Abdulina

Thanks. I think inflatable balls would be great! Punching balloons too. Does anyone know how long Oriental Trading takes to ship stuff to your house? I know they tend to have very cheap stuff. The silly string would be awesome but I could see where that would go wrong w/ some of the boys. And orphanage directors would hate me the rest of the trip. LOL. Maybe some cards too? Keep the ideas coming please. Thanks

7. hrcnsfan

hrcnsfan Well-Known Member

8. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Congrats, Stephanie!

How about some hackey sacks (sp)? They should be easy to transport.

I googled Bulgaria boys games, and this link is interesting:
    http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...TU3cPz&sig=AHIEtbR5uDowMs2P9c9-uNfQXCGHMwai0g

Is there something equivalent to Uno that you could pick up once you're there?

Good luck!

9. Abdulina

See, this is why I write on here. Completely forgot about hackey sacks! That would indeed be simple & easy to transport. One time we sent one of our kids' orphanages puzzles. Labeled that box like crazy as they thought it was bomb parts at the post office. LOL. I know for a fact these kids have absolutely nothing. So anything would be great but I want to make it something they'll remember if even for just a few days. I was thinking a frisbee too. The girls will be easy to entertain. They'll let you do their hair for hours on end simply b/c no one has ever done that for them before. Keep the ideas coming. I really can use them. My brain is fried anyhow.

10. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

With the apparent language problem, a hand held translator. Franklin has them as cheap as $29. Nothing keeps kids more busy than a "keypad" these days:)

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

A zip lock bag full of Legos can keep my 10yo (11 next month) occupied for a LONG time! There's a Lego store at Crabtree you can buy by the brick if you don't want a 'set'. Just fill up a gallon bag and let'em build.

12. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Do you have the address that you could ship things to ahead of your trip?

Chess

Checkers

Coloring book and crayons

Jump rope

Jacks

Cat's Cradle

Croquet