Help!! Out of control weeds in flowerbeds!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by annatinnie, Jun 1, 2011.

1. annatinnie

annatinnie Well-Known Member

So, I'm lazy. Yep, I said it. Gardening is fun, but this year the heat just took over before I really got to putting in new mulch, and the weed liner from two of our flower beds is basically caput!

In short form, I'm over my head! Our flower beds are full of weeds and it's so bad that I don't think generic weed killer will do it.

I need something that will really kill these buggers without much man power. don't want to "start over from scratch" but do want to kill off the weeds.

What is powerful enough to really kill them off and FAST without me dying of heat exhaustion, breaking my wallet, and satisfying my desire of a "clean" flower bed?

2. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Round up mixed strong. Dont get the pre-mixed stuff, its not tough enough. Spray early in the AM b-4 the heat gets going and let it bake in the strong Round up. It'll be turning yellow & dying in 3-4 days. I dont like the landscape fabric. I put down 2-3 layers of newspaper then put my mulch or thick pinestraw on top. Works better for me than expensive landscape fabric.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Once you kill off the weeds, you can also put down some Preen. We do it every time we mulch and it makes a big difference.

4. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

I have bamboo-old folks that used to own home had it at back as privacy fence. This mess sprouts up wherever & it is hard to keep up with-between working 6 days a week, heat & trying to have a little life. I do not like the bamboo junk.

5. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

You need to get you a panda bear. Them jokers will put down some bambo... plus they are so dang cute.

6. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Note - most of the strong weed killers will prevent you from planting anything in that flower bed for several months up to even a year. So be sure to read the label if you intend to plant something after killing off the weeds.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I second the Preen, once you get it cleaned up and under control, keep it Preened.

8. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

You need to make sure your covenants will allow panda bears. There cute, but there hard to get rid of.

9. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

how big and how tall is your bamboo??? how much do you have? if its pretty big and tall I might be willing to come take a truck and trailer full off your hands ;)

10. alen

alen Well-Known Member

Yes, Preen!