know of a good fishin' hole?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dangerboy, Jun 2, 2011.

1. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

My 9 yr old went fishing at a friend's house this weekend and now he is hooked. (get it?) lol

Bought him a new pole today. Anyone know of a fishing hole close by? We are off Guy Rd near hwy 70.

Any fishing tips for a beginner would be appreciated too!

Thanks!
    DB's wife

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

There's a spot on Cornwallis Rd, I think it's Langdon's, if you're coming from Old Drug Store Rd, it would be on the right. It's $2 a day per person.

Also, if you'll go down to Byrd's Bait and Tackle on 42 and ask Mr. Byrd, he has a list of all the local fishin' spots with a little map he'll give you for free.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

and he is the nicest man ever. just what you'd expect in a little fishing store.

Get your son some blood worms/crickets and he is set. All the fish in the ponds love both of those. My boys love fishing too.

4. dangerboy

ThANKS!!!!!!

Where on 42 is this store?

db's wife

5. dangerboy

And Im not so good with directions.
    Do you know how I would get to the pond coming from Guy Rd.?

DBs wife

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

7. dangerboy

We are heading out there now! well after we go to walmart to exchange his new rod. dang thing is broken! i, knowing nothing about fishing, didnt realize it in the store.

my son is playing hookie from school today. get it? hookie? ok ill stop with the bad jokes!

DBs wife

8. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

Smith’s Nursery 443 Sanders Rd has some fishing holes but I've never fished em (got my own fishin' spots but don't want to give away all my secrets)

They are $5 a day and kids under 10 are free.

Ditto on the live crickets and worms... can't go wrong with them and will catch about anything in the pond.

My tip for beginners... use barbless hooks or crimp the barbs on your hooks with pliers. That way when the kid "gut hooks" a fish it will be easier to remove the hook.

9. dangerboy

Im a total novice so dont laugh at me. whats a gut hook?

DB's wife

10. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

When you wait too long to set the hook in it's jaw and the fish swallers the hook. Usually gets lodged in the throat and not the gut but we call it a gut hook.

11. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I call that "cut the line and let the fish go cause I ain't putting my hand in its mouth"

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member