Last Will Info

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by LovingLife10, Jun 8, 2011.

1. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me the rundown on having a last will drawn up? Who to see, how much it costs, what the process is like, how long it takes, etc. Do most people go to an attorney? Has anyone ever used an online service like Legal Zoom? Also, once you've had one drawn up, how much is it to update it periodically?

Thanks for the help!

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Legalzoom!! I think 35.00.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

A simple will shouldn't be that difficult or expensive. As one's estate gets complicated, that's where they rub lies. Surviving spouse and children, pose less difficulty than surviving spouse, your children with that spouse, children from another marriage, etc.

I've prepared my own wills for years, suing some online guidance. It can be done. Resist the temptation to get into intricate scenarios, unless you hire a competent attorney.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV.

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

We need a will also.

Who am I gonna leave all my cool stuff 2? :lol:

5. LovingLife10

Are the online services cheaper than an attorney? I checked legal zoom, and it is $65 per person. Both my husband and i will have to have one. It should be very simple as we only have our biological children and everything we have will go to the surviving spouse then the children. I just want to be sure that an online service is legal and binding, especially in the event something were to happen to both of us.

Hat...you say you did it yourself. Did you write it and all?

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Staples and Office Max both carry the Make Your Own Will kit and you fill it out and get it notarized. Not sure if you are required to file it anywhere with the courts though, someone else will probably have that info.

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Loving....yes I did.

Kaci...while it;s not required to be filed, having it recorded makes it easier for someone to locate it and have certified copies. Administrivia being what it is, I'm fairly sure that most financial and government concerns will prefer a certified copy of the will.

Also, having the current copy recorded will preclude anyone who was a beneficiary under a prior will from making a claim against the estate.

8. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I know when my mom died last year my dad had a hard time finding his will. So it took a week to sort through all the places he would have placed it. Kaci has a great idea of filing.

9. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

Check out LEGACY WRITER.COM they did a fantastic job on mine. They ask the questions and you fill in the blanks. I didn't think it would look as professional as it does, they give complete instructions especially about filing. You will need two wittnesses and a Notary to complete it. Also it's only $25... It doesn't cost anything to try it...

10. LovingLife10

Wow! Legacy Writers is much cheaper than Legal Zoom. I wonder why?