Nosestud as an religious symbol

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2010.

1. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I could careless what she has pierced or anyone else....the fact is, and bottom line....it's against school rules and she was just told it was ok to break them (for now) because she called it religious.....

:banghead:

slippery slope.

I guess I am going to let my son's go to school with their jeans that have the distressed (torn) area's and if the school calls to tell me their against the rules, I'll just say but, but, there his HOLY jeans!

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

^^ that is why I love you! :lol:

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

As I predicted.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43301795

Johnston Co. student will be allowed to wear nose ring

Officials with the Johnston County Schools said Monday they are dropping their appeal of a federal judge's order allowing freshman Ariana Iacono to attend class with the nose piercing.

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

They can't afford to go to court when they can't even afford to educate our kids. Of course that is what people like this bank on, it's a shell game. I wish it had gone to court and it had been pointed out that the "religion" did not require the jewelry 24/7.

I wonder how many other kids will now join the "religion". They can meet at Shooters.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

My religion is to go around ripping out the nose/lip/check/eyebrow piercings of teenage kids.......hows that fit into the school agenda?

6. Cleopatra

lol

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Settlement was 15K?!?! REALLY?? Thanks for taking from our kids...appreciate it. :roll:

8. Hatteras6

They did go to court. Federal court. JoCo LOST! And decided that they would not appeal to the next level. If they thought they had a case they certainly would have gone further. As it was, JoCo has no case, and they'd have thrown more good money away trying to win an unwinnable case.

This should have never made it out of the county. Lesson learned: 1st Amendment rights are for all, not just main stream beliefs. And government official is allowed to define what religious practices are or ARE NOT acceptable.

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

The First Amendment was intended for all so that all Americans would have the right to practice religion as they see fit without restriction and no law can be passed to say otherwise. It doesnt guarantee that kids can break school rules. In cases like this it is being exploited. There is no law restricting what religion they are practicing. The school has rules, these individuals claim to have beliefs that cause them to break those rules. Their options should be follow the rules on school grounds or go to an alternative school. We don't have prayer in schools, we have silence. What if my religion tells me to stand in the hallway and minister to all the children loudly? This is wrong, it has taught that girl that rules do not apply to her. It wasted taxpayers money. How many TA's did we lose so this brat can wear her ring?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

EXACTLY! Her personal wants are apparently more important than common sense. But that has already been well established. This country is going to hell in a handbasket with BS like this.

11. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

The judicial system in this country is out of control. This girl's religion is a joke. Society needs to be able to define what is considered a religion or there is no limit to what nuts will dream up. In fact, this nose stud was not a requirement of her "religion." If the founding fathers heard all of the crazy ideas that have been protected by the first amendment, they would be horrified at our growing lack of common sense. This crazy girl has cost taxpayers $15,000.00. This money should be taken out of what was going to be spent on her education. No textbook for her. No computer. No teacher. Just let her sit by herself in a room. "Sorry, this all we can give you for your education. By the way, no air conditioning." Then, she would understand the consequences of her actions. Of course, she could wear her nose stud.

12. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree: You should send this to the local paper!

13. Hatteras6

Allowing society to determine what a valid religious is or is not? So what's the criteria? Popularity? Amount of tithed income or the size of the bank account the church has or the religious institution raises? Racial or demographic measurements?

Within my lifetime, and certainly within this county, the history has been that the Catholic Church and its teaching were questioned. The code word for these folks used to be "Papists." And they were suspected of not being 'real' Christians.

"Mormons" have also had their credibility questioned. Society dealt with them by mob rule and murdering the founder of LDS and several followers, and chasing the church out west.

Is there any question as to the legitimacy of Native American beliefs? Of Buddhists? Islam? Scientology? The Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster? Hinduism? Jainism? Society of Friends? Pentecostals?

Who decides? You and I on an individual basis, as the founders believed and set up the government. You favor your beliefs, I'll favor mine. Others will believe as they wish. While you may decide that religious belief "A" is good, and belief "B" is not, that's your individual value judgment. And I'm OK with your choices, up until you believe you may choose for me, or allow popularity to be the way one decides what is of value or not.

Government has NO place in deciding what religious belief is or is not. And, although you may dislike it, that was the entire reason that the federal courts ruled against Johnston County.

I wonder why people may feel that a different belief is an affront to God? If He is omnipotent, as believed, gave us free will to choose to believe or not, why would He be worried whether or not we do believe him. To presume that our belief in God is what makes Him God is an arrogant self view. If He is God, he doesn't need us. We need Him. Without us, He is. Without Him, we are not. Why do people feel that He is threatened?

14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

having a hard time here trying to understand what you are saying or agree too. So is it she has a right due to 1st amendment to wear nose ring even though the school guidelines says no jewelry of this kind, but due to her religious beliefs she can? What happened to said separation of Church and State/Gov. ?
    So are you against prayer in school ??

15. Cleopatra

WTH was she granted a settlement for? She didn't lose any money, if anything she gained 15 minutes of fame for her religion and herself.

Life is not a reality show. Again, I don't see why she couldn't just take out the ring during the day, JUST AS HER RELIGION STATES SHE CAN.

Attention whore and p-poor parent.

16. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Actually there was no court ruling on the merits of the case. The judge just signed off on the settlement, after granting a temporary order earlier.

17. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:hurray:

18. Hatteras6

Tomayto - Tomahto....

U.S. District Judge Malcolm J. Howard issued an emergency court order on Oct. 8, allowing her to return to school and wear her nose stud while the litigation was pending. On Monday, Howard signed off on the settlement agreed to by both sides.

If that doesn't suggest to you that the federal judge found merit in the suit against JoCo, perhaps you can explain it better. Tells me that he decided, based on the facts and the law, and issued the emergency order. initially JoCo was going to appeal. For whatever reasons, JoCo folded. I'm hoping that someone advised them that the initial order carries a lot of judicial weight, and that JoCo was certain to face an uphill battle.

Or did you need a protracted court case with JoCo certain to lose it at greater expense?

Point blank. JoCo folded. You really think they'd have settled if they thought they had a chance to win?

19. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

An emergency order in federal court is NOT a finding of fact or merit. They are fairly common in cases involving inmates and prisons. (How many times does the federal court issue an order delaying the execution?) Maybe the county folded because the money is just not there for legal fees in this budget cutting climate.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's horse ****..........anybody with two brain cells to rub together knows it.