Myrtle Beach Activities Fun for Families

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by busymama, Jun 10, 2011.

1. busymama

busymama Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any ideas on what is fun to do with the family at Myrtle Beach? We are leaving next weekend for the week. Thanks!!

2. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Myrtle Waves if you love water parks. Something for everybody, but it's a bit high at $30/person. The wave pool, dark tunnels, speed chutes and the Aruba Tooba is super fun! Plus, they have about a quarter mile long lazy river!

4. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Broadway at the Beach is always fun. They also installed a new really huge ferris wheel on the Boardwalk. Have fun.

5. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I also recommend Ripleys Aquarium. Took the girls there 10 years ago and we all loved it! Then we spent the rest of the day shopping around the rest of Broadway at the Beach. If you're staying in a hotel, many of them also have planned activities for kids.

6. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Eat at Margaritaville! It is actually a lot of fun, but with out reservations by now it may be hard to eat in the evening. Try lunch! Also Dixie Stampede is a lot of fun, but I understand it is a pirate theme this year?? The Carolina Opry is great! For the country and the non country music fans too!

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

If you are a member you can get discount tickets at SECU - The normal rate is $35, but only $26 through the Credit Union. Same for Nascar Speed Park wich is also fun if you enjoy racing.

https://www.ncsecu.org/PDF/Highlights/2011ThemeParkTickets.pdf

8. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

Wonder works at broadway

Wonderworks at broadway at the beach was a hit with my son and his best friend when we went at spring break. Look them up on the internet. It was just built and looks like an upside down building from the outside!! Go early or late!!
    Also ridemakerz at broadway at the beach (like build a bear, but you build a car...print a coupon before you go as they can get a bit pricey!!)

Many putt putt golf courses down there as well. Barefoot Landing is also nice at North Myrtle Beach. they have a wildlife preservatin where they can get their picture made with a tiger or monkey for a donation. Really nice!!

Have fun!!

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

We've done Ridmakerz before. Son loved it both times. His first time was a Mustang; second a Dodge Ram. Super cool, but like Breezy said, they can get expensive with more add-ons. A free rolling vehicle can easily approach $40 even with a coupon and choose a remote-control body and you're looking at probably something approaching $75+. They have a website, so its a good idea to check on this before you go. That said, however, its a great incentive for a young boy to save his money for such a prize that he builds himself.

MB has so much stuff to do...and spend money on! You can go on a tight budget or spend several hundred dollars in just a couple days.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

A lot of kids like Magi-Quest at Broadway at The Beach.

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

There are tigers you can see and have your picture taken with (for a fee ofcourse) at Barefoot Landing. I've done it 2 or 3 times, In one picture I got to bottle feed a 6 month old tiger that they put in my lap!

http://www.tigerfriends.com/preservationstation.html

12. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

NASCAR Speedpark is cool. Have rides available for the little ones all the way up to adults.

http://www.nascarspeedpark.com/sc.aspx

Second the recommendation for Ridemakerz. Just the look on my grandsons face while he built it was worth the money IMO.

13. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

We love walking around and feeding the fish/ducks/birds at Broadway at the Beach and Barefoots Landing. I always stock up on old cereal and bread before our trip. We also love to look for sea shells.

14. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

IMO... Ripley's Aquarium is overpriced. It might be worth it if you have a coupon. A couple of years ago we went (4 adults, 2 kids) and it came up to a total of around $150. The experience (for us) was definitely not worth the money.

15. busymama

busymama Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!! A lot of great ideas to go on!!:)

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's a great place to go once...or ever so often...but its not a regular attraction for us when we go either. Now with older kids, I'd recommend the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum for those interested in curiosities. Interesting for adults, too.

Speaking of Broadway At The Beach...don't miss the candy store. They have a lot of old candies and candy bars that you probably don't see that much of any more. Great way to pacify the kids for a few minutes and get them all hyper for ServerSnapper at dinner time, too. :jester:

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:lol::lol::lol:

DS's Scout troop got to spend the night at Ripley's in the shark tunnel a few years ago. They enjoyed it, but yeah, I've been to two of the Ripley's Aquariums and they are not worth the $$ to me. The one in TN is better than the one in Myrtle in my opinion.

18. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

The Bowery

19. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I guess it's still there, but have you been down in that area since the Pavilion was ripped out? Hopefully the boardwalk and the big ferris wheel will turn it around, but it has become pretty seedy.

20. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

No...last time I was in there was '98.