Car title question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Paid off a vehicle and bank title sent to me in mail. Bank is still on title, but got the lien release letter. Is it worth the trip to the DMV to get a clean title? Mr. & Mrs. are on the title so I suppose we would have to be there together and schedules don't allow that very easily.

Advice?

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Did the bank sign & date on the front of the title that they released the lein?

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

As long as they sent you the title and the lien has been released just hang on to it. When you sell or trade it, you will sign it on the back and the new owners will apply for a new title.

4. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

:iagree: I have lots of experience working with titles. As long as the bank signed the front of the title to release the lien, you don't have to do anything until you sell.

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

How long should it take to get a title?? I traded my car at a local dealership and bought the new one outright. This was 4 weeks ago. They have already sold the car I traded, so they got their title apparently. I got the registration last week, but still no title. Annoying.

Also, is it true that my dh can sign a title as long as it is notarized so I can sell/trade it? We have a truck to sell/trade and he just started a new job so he may not be able to be present and I hate to miss a good deal. TIA

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, there is a "dealer assignment" on the back of the title that you gave to the dealership, they take the title you gave them and sign it over to the new buyer. Then the new buyer takes that to the DMV and submits it and has to wait (just like you) for a new title in their name.

I had to have myself, DH and the buyer present at the bank (for the notary) when we signed the title over. A dealership with its own Notary may make exceptions, you'd really have to ask them. Just be sure before you fill out the title .... better to get it right than get to the DMV counter and have to redo all the paperwork and make a second trip.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  7. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

If you just got the registration then the dealership just filed it. Yes, your husband can carry the title to a Notary and have it notarized prior to selling it. When you get ready to sell all you have to do is go before a Notary and have your signature notarized.

8. LovingLife10

The title will take a while longer. The dealership has just filed the paperwork. Usually about 2 or 3 weeks from the time you get your registration.

DH cannot legally sign for you on a title. However, if you know a notary personally who will allow that, you could probably get it done. It would still be illegal, but it does happen. The problem is that husbands and wives who are separating have been known to sell each other's cars without the other one knowing. I have personally seen a car sit on a car lot for a year because the dealership notarized a husbands signature to sell his wife's car. Legally, that didn't hold up when the wife came and said she did not want to sell her car. The dealership was in a bind then.

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thanks for all of the help. I guess we will just have to sit tight for our title. As for the truck title, it is in DH's name only and he just doesn't have much time to go around car shopping (trading) or selling outright to a new buyer during business hours, so I was trying to help him out by doing the paperwork/legwork for him. Again, thanks for the advice. :mrgreen:

10. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

What about asking if a Power of Attorney letter would work? get that notarized as well. I did that in PA when my gram sold me her car, and it was in my name and my mothers name (she was in FL at the time, so I had a power of attorney letter that showed I could sign her name and act accordingly with these proceedings) It had an expiration date, so it had to be done quick. Worth asking I think......

11. LovingLife10

The problem would be that to get the power of attorney, she would need DH's signature notarized. In that case, she might as well just have him sign the title in front of notary. The only reason she needs to be able to sign his name is because she doesn't want him to have to spend time doing all that himself. She would have the same issue with the POA.

12. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Yes, and no, Because if he could sign the POA and get that notarized, she can do the shopping and sell/trade the car at her pace, and he not need be there. Wachovia offers free Notary if you have an account with them or Wells Fargo.

13. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thanks again for the advice and the pm(s). Didn't mean to completely highjack the thread. I had a fellow 4042-er offer up assistance if we need it with the title issue and another to offer help finding a used car for my son. Now I just have to get with PRM to get the bad news on the insurance premium! I can't think of a nicer guy to give me the bad news though, so it's all good, though I am wondering if it would be cheaper to move to the city and sell all the cars! Have a great weekend people and thanks again. :cheers:

14. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

nvm

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011