Hostas, need several..where to buy?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by specialk, Jun 12, 2011.

1. specialk

specialk Active Member

In need of 7-10 hostas. Anyone know of a place to get them that won't break the bank but are not small?

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Swift Creek Nursery on Cleveland Rd.,the owners name is Lanny Thomas,I used to work there,his prices are reasonable.Once you had the hostas for a couple years you can dig them up and divide them before replanting.

3. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I call those things "mother-in-law tongues" because no matter what you do you can't kill them. LOL

4. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I have several huge hastas that are almost too big for the space and are growing bigger every year. I want to dig them up and separate them, but I'm scared I'm going to kill them. Do you separate them when they are first coming up or when they are full grown? Once you separate them, will they look like half of a hosta or will they redevelop their roundness?

5. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

This is the dang truth. I even threw some of the bulbs out in the yard in right when the weather was turnin' and they still tried to root down and spring up.

I've split mine more times than I have room for now.

The upside, they are much prettier than my mother-in-law and don't run their mouth near as much.

6. Redneck Rich

You can spilt them up in early spring, right after they've started to develop; but the best time is early fall while the ground is still warm but the air temp and sun is not scortching the leaves.

Not seein' how big they are I feel safe telling you to half or quarter them, not much more than that. Do this every couple seasons and you'll have some purty hostas all over your yard.

7. Redneck Rich

Oh... and don't plant em near where you change the oil in your truck. They don't like it.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Maybe people can't kill them, but the deer will make sure that they don't grow past June 15th each year.

9. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

THey are 3-4 feet in diameter when they are fully grown. Very pretty, but spilling over into my driveway. I might try to separate them in the fall. Thanks for the suggestions!

10. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

2nd that! lanny is a good guy!

11. pcgeek

pcgeek Active Member

Char-lynn nursery right off of Sanders Road has plenty of them and she has very good deals as well.

12. DancerRaquel

DancerRaquel Guest

I would recommend Plant Delights Nursery out on Saul's Road. He breeds many different varieties of Hostas. They are a bit expensive but very unique.

www.plantdelights.com

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

While I'll agree that Plant Delights has a great variety, thats not what the OP is looking for. They specifically asked for ideas for places to get Hostas that won't break the bank. You get a small hosta there for $24... nice quality and variety, but not cost effective for someone wanting 7-10 of the same for some sort of border landscaping.

I've bought plenty of hostas from PDN, but I have shade areas in my yard that are nothing but a variety of specialty hostas. This just isn't the type of place the OP had in mind.

14. DancerRaquel

DancerRaquel Guest

Then, I would say go to Broadwell's in Angier. They have random Hostas in 1 gallon pots for $2 each. I would look for one that has a large mass of roots and they tend to transplant their material to larger sizes a bit early. But, good luck!

15. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree: