Get over yourselves, already

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BuzzMyMonkey, Jun 22, 2011.

1. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

They want you to respect their beliefs but they aren't quite as interested in respecting those of others. I bet these were the same folks fighting to have a mosque at ground zero (which I thought was a bad idea but not the role of the government to decide).

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I am sure their 'beef' is when public funds are used to advocate, publicize, etc. any one particular religious view. Atheists couldn't care less what you practice, just don't spend their tax dollars on the promotion of any one religious belief. You may never understand that, but I suppose it would be the same as if someone wanted to rename a street sign (using tax dollars) to "72 Virgins Lane".

As for the mosque, I believe that was a private institution (private money) that predominantly Christians opposed. I really don't think an Atheist would give a damn about the mosque.

4. BuzzMyMonkey

Did they not say they went thru proper protocol to get approval to put up. They didn't ramrod it thru without regard to the rules. You snooze you lose, get with the game or try next time.

5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

There is a difference between requiring one to swear on a Bible in a court of law (on which I can see their point) and naming a street.

6. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I wondered about this... The article mentioned that atheists say heaven is only for Christians. I thought Jews believed in heaven as well? :?

7. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Atheists have no problem spending money do they? Last i checked, it all said "In God We Trust"

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Agreed on the first part, but the second part can be a slippery slope.

Personally, I think it is harmless. I am just amazed at how defensive people get when an atheist group makes a legitimate claim about a specific religious doctrine in our government, Christianity or otherwise, and how they can't understand what is at issue.

9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

It's because the overwhelming majority of American citizens are Christians and therefore feel as if they are the ones being denied freedom.

10. BuzzMyMonkey

speaking of getting defensive, what do you call the atheist with this?

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

From Wiki:
    “When I die, I hope to go to Heaven, whatever the Hell that is.” - Ayn Rand

12. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

It's gonna take me a while to get my head around that one.

I presume 'Seven in Valhalla', 'Seven in Nirvana' or 'Seven in oblivion' would have been equally acceptable had the specifically mentioned honored dead (and they ARE honored) all subscribed to that particular concept of the afterlife?

Maybe...but maybe not.

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member