Made In America

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pocahontas, Sep 10, 2009.

1. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Hi! I know it is early but--I was thinking that it would be nice going into the holiday season to have a place to look for ideas for gifts and party things, even food, that is made in the United States. My husband's company just announced another round of layoffs yesterday, and while no one here in North Carolina was affected, people he worked with day to day that happened to live in other states were. With that in mind, I was thinking that it would be nice to try to "buy American", to really give the economy a boost going into the holidays, and to help maybe put a few people back to work. I know some of the raw materials items are made from are probably imported, but if the product is considered to be made in the U.S.A. then it is fair buying it should help keep people employed. Plus I am tired of spending hardearned money on things made in China and Indonesia that always seem to break or unravel by the second or third use. I'm hoping that as you find some good, quality items that you could all post them here...what they are, where they're made, even where to find them, either websites or if you know of local places that may sell them, and all the better if they are from our own state. Here are my first three items, and if you buy them I hope you will enjoy them:

Vermont teddy bears, factory located in Burlington, Vermont
    www.vermontteddybear.com

Ben And Jerry's Icecream, factory located in Waterbury, Vermont
    www.benjerry.com

Longaberger baskets, (NOT their pottery or their wrought iron though!)(and no I do not sell Longaberger or even have any friends that do :) )factory and shops located in East Central Ohio
    http://www.longaberger.com

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

3. carolinasun

carolinasun Well-Known Member

I THINK that is a fantastic idea!!! We used to feel that way and have gotten away from it. I am definately going to try and encorage
    everyone else to........... :iagree::hurray::iagree:

4. carolinasun

EVERYONE "BUY AMERICA"

5. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

I'll go one step further and urge you all to even buy NC made!! Check this little shop out in our very own western NC. If you have a chance to go visit them, please do! It is a wonderful little place and I try to buy a few gifts from them every year. I have several items made from the local artisans and they are BEAUTIFUL and one of a kind. The hand blown glass ornaments are amazing. The organization that I work for was part of the funding to make this happen and we love them! You can read about the project on their website here...

http://www.homeoftheperfectchristmastree.org/

6. carolinasun

THANK YOU!! It may cost a little more but if everyone does it we may save a lot of jobs... We have all gotten away from the "MADE IN AMERICA" label.. Take Care>>>>>>>> :hurray:

7. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

My kids and I play...... "Guess Where This Was Made" all the time. Not very often I see made in the USA....

8. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

One of the artist, Charlotte Hayworth Gower (Woven Scarves, Shawls, Rugs) is a dear friend. Married a CLayton High School Class of 1956 Alumni. Go Comets!

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I know I'm not really supposed to mention this here :oops: but the items that I make are 'handmade in NC'

10. carolinasun

Aw come on!! Give us a hint, I have a lot of hobbies also!! LOL:lol:

11. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Thanks polentardmafia1!
    Tile and other stuff made from clay ;)

12. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Good Morning America/ABC aired a segment on this company that makes swimsuits in South Carolina! Made in the U.S.A.! So if you are looking for a new swimsuit this summer, or anytime, you might consider buying one made here instead of China or Bangladesh. It looks like they sell plus-sizes too.

Has anyone else come across a good product made in the U.S. lately? I had to replace my coffee maker recently and could not find a single one made in this country. We know too many people still that are out of work, and every little bit helps in this economy.

http://taragrinna-swimwear.com/

13. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

I was in Cracker Barrel at 40/42 about three weeks ago (worse breakfast I have ever had BTW) and saw they had a lot of patriotic USA shirts for sale. Everyone of them: Made in Bangladesh.

One website we use for made in the USA clothing is: http://www.unionlabel.com

Figure better to have one made in the usa polo shirt than two made in China, Mexico, or Bangladesh. Plus they do have some good clearance deals now and then.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

A few months back, I think it was one of the morning shows, they did a Made In America show series. They took absolutely EVERYTHING out of a house that was made outside of USA and replaced all items with American-made products. As they went on, they showed the price differences and quality of workmanship differences, etc. Overall, considering what was spent, the percentage in cost difference was reasonable to stay with American made products.

Funny though, what made me think back to this was your mentioning you couldn't find an Made In the USA coffee maker. That was the one thing that they weren't able to replace in the household either.

15. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

16. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

http://www.mcphee.com

I aint sure that it is American-made but they got bacon flavor chap stick and bacon breath mints... what's more American than bacon?

17. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Thats good 2 know! I'm taking BACK a pr of pants I bought a few weeks ago because of that AND they dont fit right AFTER wearing them today.

Thanks for sharing that. Seriously I buy my bathing suits from Target because they are dirt cheap and the 2 bottoms I bought earlier in the year are already stretched out and look like I got a dookey ball in my bathing suit. LOL :lol::lol::lol:

I used to order online from venus swimwear and LOVED their bathing suits but with the amount of $$$ they are I decided last year and this year I'd get them from Target. I WONT do that again.

18. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

How's this for made in America. I have a hat from the southern most golf course in the US. Key West golf club, even has an American flag on the back in proud display, but where was it made? China.

19. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Get your American Made Boots!!!!

Quality is outstanding!!!! Very impressed with the boots and company. They even sent a 6 month follow up to make sure I was still happy

http://www.afboots.com/

[​IMG]

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

They carry up to a size 16, not really what I consider very pluz-sized friendly. :evil: