Showing ID at the Polls

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by J34, Jun 23, 2011.

1. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain to me under what circumstance a person should NOT be able to show a valid form of ID at a polling place before casting a ballot? I'd venture to say most adults carry a convenient picture ID in the form of a driver's license with them everywhere they drive (like to the polling place). And a lot of people probably carry some form of ID even if they don't drive in case they need to be ID'd in case of injury, amnesia, or death. So, maybe I'm just missing something really obvious, but why shouldn't voter fraud be minimized by asking to see ID?

2. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

I truly don't mean this to be mean but only informative - Apparently you have not been listening to talk radio or watching news stations over the past few months as they've covered this legislation. The Democratic Party states that asking anyone for a photo ID would disinfranchise low income voters.

The ONLY argument they use is - asking anyone for a photo ID would disinfranchise low income voters. Trying to get them to elaborate further is difficult.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

This REALLY chaps my hide. I have to show my ID for just about everything.........but not voting. It makes NO sense and I am truly disgusted with Bev Purdue. :?

4. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Showing a picture id is just providing proof that you are who you say you are. We do that upon request when purchasing alcohol and tobacco, reserving a car rental, producing a valid driver's license to show that we can drive...how is this different? It makes sense to me.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Not everyone drives and not everyone can go to a polling station.

6. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I just don't think its unreasonable to require ID for something as important as voting.

Maybe the thing to do is to make the voter registration card a real, verifiable, secure photo ID. I know that idea drives both the extreme left and extreme right into a frenzy, but perhaps it's time for the middle to kick both ends in the ***.

7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I believe that a photo id should be required, just as I think manditory drug testing should be required for government aid such as welfare and food stamps. But then again having been in the military and working for DOC and having a CCW permit I'm definitely on the "grid".

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

whats your point?

9. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

But the targeted bit of society gets a check and is able to make it to the bank and get it cashed. What ID do they use to cash the check?

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's common sense....................apparently becoming less common. I do not know why anyone would object to showing their ID unless they had something to hide or bad intentions. If you are a registered voter, they already HAVE your name and address, they check it off as you go through the line, or are supposed to. What's the big deal?

Oh, right...............it might stop someone from committing fraud. The horror. :roll:

11. jumpin4joync

I hope that everyone who believes that it made no sense for the Governor to veto this bill will remember this moment, as well as all the other bills she vetoed this year, next year when it comes time to Get Out The Vote.

12. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

You have that right. I guess those that supported her are the ones that have no ID's.

13. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

And if the General Assembly can not override this when they come back to Raleigh in July, then I hope in September when they take up Constitutional Amendments, that they put this one on the ballot and let the people vote on it once and for all.

14. jumpin4joync

To hear it now, the Democrats will stand firm and not cross over to help with an Override of the veto. It was mentioned on the radio this morning to call and write your General Assemblymen and let them know how strongly you feel about this veto and that might have some influence. However, I live in an all Republican represented area.

I guess I would suggest you and others call and write your General Assemblymen and request that this be put on the ballot and voted upon by the citizens of NC as an amendment to our state's constitution.

15. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

maybe it's much simpler than all of this, and bev just got VETO stamp happy...liked the feeling of power (albeit fleeting) when she used it before. i guess i had the original question mostly b/c i just don't get why things have to be so darn complicated. pretty sure it's about time for me to take the fam, get an rv that runs on french fry oil, and just go off the grid.

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

so mandating everyone purchases health care is ok.....but getting a free voter ID card is a bad thing.

sounds about right.

can we get an adult governor next time?

17. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I always show my ID when I vote. Just because. Going to the DMV to get an ID is not a big deal.

18. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

to be fair, we had diddly-squat for choices last election

19. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

McCroury is so much more intelligent than Bev it is ridiculous. Of course, then again, so is my 7 year old.

20. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I supported her during the election and I have an ID. :lol: I am all for showing a picture ID when going to vote. Did it in other states and still find it strange that I don't have to in NC.

Sherry