College students that can't read

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kevinsmithii, Jun 24, 2011.

1. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/9777594/

I'm not a UNC fan but I bet this can happen at any college with athletics. Can they not read signs about parking, either length of time or whether there is parking allowed there at all? There are too many kids who want to go college to learn and not get a free ride because of their athleticism.

2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I went to state in the early 90's. They would hold your grades til you paid parking tickets! Certainly Chapel Hole has a sophisticated cross reference system.

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

No big supporter of student athletes that do wrong here.

Lemme ask this. Is this apparent sense of expectation that because one is an athlete that they are above the rules, and are coddled, something that begins at college level, or is this something that begins earlier.

My bet is that these kids are coddled at high school, and because they have a particular athletic skill that brings attention to the school, that they are given passes on infractions that non-athletes would be in trouble for doing. I've seen it happen locally.

I'm old school. We not only wore appropriate dress to class everyday, not just game day, but we were expected to lead by example. Lord help you if the math teacher told the coach that you were disruptive or failed a test or didn't complete your class work. As a minimum, one would have to run the bleachers several times, and then still worry if you were going to dress for the game, much less play.

That said, breaking the rules, parking tickets, criminal behavior..all should be appropriately addressed.

4. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I thought this was going to be about East Carolina. :lol:

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:lol: