Showing ID at the Polls

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by J34, Jun 23, 2011.

1. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Some of them have their Social Security check deposited directly into their account and use a debit card, which doesn't require ID.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I give up, I absolutely give the hell up.

Have at it, you have to have an ID for everthing else, but apparently voting isn't important enough to care about whether folks have one or not when they walk in off the street.

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Technically you are required to sign the back of a debit/credit card and each time it's used the cashier is "supposed" to ask for it and to compare it to the signature on your PHOTO ID.

Any card not signed the cashier is "required" to request PHOTO id to verify that you are indeed the owner of the card.

In the event I used a company card which doesn't have my name on it I have always been asked to show my company issued photo id to verify that I am indeed employed by the company who's card I am using.

As for the documents needed for a photo ID (which costs $10) if you are getting Social Security, having it direct depositited, and using a bank issued card then you already have enough documentation to get a NC DMV issued photo id.

4. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Whenever I hear the argument that very few cases have been reported, that to me undermines the whole argument. By that logic, a rape doesn't occur unless it is reported.

As a precint worker I can tell you the potential for fraud is huge. I noticed a man on the roll who died in 1977, but amazingly he had voted in 2002, 2004, and 2006. I did get his name off the rolls, but the damage was done.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Speak to the competency of the local BoE, does it not?

6. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Actually no. Death certificates are not sent to the BOE. Most are removed by family members when they come to vote and they sign a form to remove the person. If the person has not voted in several elections, then they are removed, but if someone is presenting themselves as that person and requesting to vote, they can not be refused if they give the correct address since no ID is required.

7. KDsGrandma

Actually, my husband and my brother were both removed from the rolls very shortly after they died, and I did not notify the BOE. I don't know where they got the information, but they certainly moved on it right away.

8. KDsGrandma

I'm not sure the same rules apply to a debit card as to a credit card. I think the point of having a PIN is so that you don't have to provide any other information. I use a debit card all the time, and I can't remember the last time anybody asked to look at it.

9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

The WRAL article I read said the IDs would be free of charge at each county's board of elections office.

10. KDsGrandma

Thanks for the info.

11. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Amen!

12. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Agree...I tried to make this very point earlier in the thread.

As for transportation issues for the elderly, how were they gonna get to the polls? Can the same person responsible for getting them there not also take them to get a voter ID? Seems like a small inconvenience in the name of sanitizing something as important as voting.

13. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

can you point me to that article? hubby wants to play devil's advocate with me. ;)

14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Now your taking it to the slippery slope and injecting religion into it, cmon man.

15. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/story/9772470/

16. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

17. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Not that I've seen.

18. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

i don't mind the basic argument that we have enough laws, why add to them...in fact, i pretty much agree with that one...i do mind the one that says we're disenfranchising/discriminating/whatever against the poor. that just holds no water for me...obviously i'm looking at it too simplistically.

19. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Oh dangit. Guess that means I need to post some sort of religious test to indicate peoples political beliefs now.

20. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

What a belly laugh ya' gave me. Guess I shouldn't laugh when something is true about the Pubs and is wrong. :lol::lol:

Sherry