RIP Lorenzo Charles

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dangerboy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

"Lo" as he was called at the time, the man who just happened to be in the right place at the right time, the man who caused Jimmy V's famous run around the court looking for someone to hug....Lorenzo Charles was driving the bus that crashed on i-40 at highway 54 in cary this afternoon and was killed...

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

RIP, Lorenzo.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

as you posted on FB today....

‎"It's a shame that the man behind the shot isn't here with us anymore," Thurl Bailey said in a phone interview. "But I guess Jimmy V finally found somebody to hug."

RIP Lo :cry:

4. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Why was he driving the bus?

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's what he'd been doing for a living for the past 12 years..............at least according to WRAL.

6. ServerSnapper

Dern.

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

His 'moment' was a spectacular one and IMHO probably one of the best ever in college basketball. The instinctive leap to catch and bring the ball down into the dunk. It was amazing. Those few seconds after making that game-winning shot was something, too. He was clearly in shock...caught up in a moment where he couldn't comprehend what he had just done. RIP indeed.

8. ServerSnapper

INSTINCT......Can't teach it. Gotta have it.

I'm a Duke fan but am sad he was driving a bus when he was so good at instinct.

[​IMG]

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

according to WRAL on the question "why was he driving a bus..."

"For the last 10 years, Charles was a driver for Elite Coach, a limo, charter bus and car service based in Apex"

ain't no shame in being a chauffeur

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Lorenzo actually owned a limo and hospitality company and was doing very well for himself.

[​IMG]

I got Lorenzo's autograph in '84. :cry:

11. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

That is a great pic. So sad to hear of his passing. He was the same age as Jimmy V when he passed, according to WRAL. 47 is way too young to leave this world. He seemed to be such a great guy from what I heard on the news. My 14 year old was shocked when he told me about it (he gets espn text updates). Even he knew who Lo was. RIP.