In front of the Hwy 42 Walmart...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Resident, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

What is that huge thing they're building? If there was an earlier thread on this, I missed it.

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Goodwill Community Foundation is building another store.

3. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

You're kidding me... Right there on 42? In front of the walmart, sortof? What an odd place to put it. Of course, that'll be a convenient drop off location... but I wonder how Basic Needs Ministries is going to like it.

4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I'd love to know how much they spent on grading! Did you see the equipment they used for such a small area.

5. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

That is what my husband said also,no wonder it's been taking so long!

6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

somebody buried them rocks, so somebody had to get them back up. Like Jerry Garcia said, "one man gathers what another man spills."

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Not much they can do about it. I can't wait for the new place to open!

8. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Basic Needs seems to be much more concerned with and focused on their Library and their Food Pantry, than they do with clothing and other donated items.

At least this was my impression on my last visit.

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I guess I am too cheap but last time I went into a Goodwill I was amazed at their prices...and not in a good way!

10. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

I agree. The last time I went in there I thought their prices were high. Some of the things I could buy brand new at Walmart.

11. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Basic Needs provides millions annually to its communities

There is no part of our charity work that produces a profit over operating costs.

Clothing - started 2003 - benefits up to 12% of our residents - for 7 years has been large space user with virtually no known donations to cover the rent - damaged, wet, and items we are not permitted to handle drive disposal fees to $4,000 - needs repeat weekly volunteers

Prescription drug discounts - can benefit most residents - no cost to operate - 4-5,000 users monthly get $3 million annually in local savings - simple word of mouth and passing on cards from county commissioners in 75 N.C. counties

Food pantry - started 2006 - benefits up to 10% of our residents - good shopping brought in 120,000 pounds or so and served 116,000 meals in a year - requires funding to buy food, maintain temperatures with 9 high energy using units, and volunteers to shop, stock, and distribute.

Computer lab - benefits to 40% of our residents - students do homework; residents fill in job applications, look for new housing, Internet shop, file for college grants and classes, file for medical grants and apply for assistance - fax and small copy service - requires funding to keep modern technology, Internet service, and supplies

Library - 2008 - directly benefits 40-60% of our residents and 10-20% more in residuals - requires funding for labels, tapes, cards, books, and similar supplies and major sq. ft. since we are trying to provide a service to a large current and growing population that is usually provided at the city or county level. I've worked with the Good folks for several years on some unique projects and we've already discussed the store opening. They've helped our computers get up and running on ATT U-vere. Since I'm color blind, I still don't understand the benefit of sorting clothing by color. If it doesn't fit, I don't care what color it is.

Because we didn't have the $600-$1,000 donated to print, cut, stuff, and mail clothing gift certificates this year, we issued press releases and e-mails to welcome the churches and schools to continue to send people in for free clothing. We have also discussed honoring referrals from all Johnston's churches and agencies, while only sending certificates to the 50 heaviest users. Without regular community volunteers and people trained in quality checking and hanging, we lack the essence of quality service. If we receive 7 truck loads a day, it won't fit in the building, but like other charities, we can possibly raise some funds and buy some food or help pay the rent. We don't have any storage room. When our dumpster is filled, it takes days to empty it and $80+ per load-that could be only 2 couches and a chair. The fire inspector says no furniture or appliances inside and the landlord say no on the outside.

The children are locked out of many local school libraries until August, there aren't enough books in the county to meet minimum service levels, and the need goes on.

Basic Needs will only provide a service that is not being provided. It is simple, there are no library books based where 100,000 rural Johnston County residents live.