The Clayton News-Star to be sold to News & Observer

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Concerned Person

Concerned Person Well-Known Member

Good bye to a great news paper

Just wanted to say that the Clayton News~Star was one of my favorite newspapers. Stewart McLeod has done one execellent job with the newspaper. He will go down as one of best Publishers/Owners.

Thanks for keeping us in formed in the Clayton area, Mr. Stewart.. Job well done!

3. Centurian

Centurian Well-Known Member

So long News-Star

The Clayton News-Star will soon go the way of the Garner and Smithfield papers owned by McLatchy (News & Observer).

Just some ads with a couple of repeat stories from the N&O. At leats they're all free papers now, just to get the ads out to more people. The printed newspaper is obsolete.

4. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Slight hi-jack....

You should be able to ID the STILL LOCALLY OWNED NEWS PAPERS by their "Wide Format". The N&O prints in the 'new style' with a narrower sheet of paper. (Less costs, etc). The OLD BOYS still use the wide sheets. (ie: Full Broadsheet)

I miss the REAL home town (home county) newspaper. The Four Oaks News was a great LOCAL paper, they covered school news, would send a reporter &/or photographer to cover local sports & anything else.
    They were thrilled to PRINT your community or church announcements in a timely manor. They JUST cared about the area they covered and were proud to serve the community.

RIP the LOCAL paper!

5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

The Newspaper industry's days are numbered.

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Sad but true.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

So are phone books.

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I agree, unfortunately, that the printed days are coming to an end. I still love sitting on the back deck with a cup of joe reading the hard copy of the paper.

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wish they'd quit throwing phone books out on the side of the road in front of the homes of people who don't want them. They should be charged with littering for that.

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I opted out of receiving all of those phone books a while back. I also opted out of credit offers and junk mail in my box. As for littering, I agree. That is how I felt about the Garner-Clayton herald throwing free papers out. Our HOA addressed it to no avail. We have the little slots under our mailboxes for newspapers and such, but all we ever got were papers in ditches, in the middle of the road, rarely in the driveway. I am not sad that they will discontinuing that here. Nothing in it anyway.

Link to opt out:
    http://www.freemymailbox.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Glad to see you around, young lady.

Sherry

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Hate to see the Clayton News-Star being sold as Stewart, family and staff have done a good job.

Sherry

13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I addressed this same issue with the Cleveland paper. I took pictures of the delivery issues (ditches, middle of the road, etc.). I also took pictures of papers piling up in driveways where the house was vacant or the people are too lazy to pick them up. I went to the top and discussed it with 'executives'. Not saying it was due to my effort, but that paper now pays postage and is delivered via a mailbox.

If you don't pay for it (subscribe) and they are not paying postage, then it is littering in my opinion.

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

General Statutes protects such delivery of newspapers (maybe phone books, too) from littering laws.

15. OMG, you are so right! The phone company showed up at my office a month ago with 50 phone books for the 25 of us who work here. I actually said to the delivery guy "Are you serious? Phone books??" and told him we didn't want any. I can honestly say that it's been five years or more since I've opened a phone book. Talk about needlessly killing trees.

16. Suzie Q

Suzie Q Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure there is some sort of old regulation that requires the phone company to deliver phone books to every resident that is why they have the opt out program. Not sure where I heard but I worked for both Bell South and AT&T in past positions.

17. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

this

18. shelly3

shelly3 Active Member

I for one will truly miss the Clayton/JoCo news that the Clayton Newstar offered. The Garner- Clayton Record or whatever its called is worthless- reruns of old newstories and yet more coverage of the Wake County school issues. I just can't see the paper continuing local coverage of Clayton/JoCo in the capacity the Newstar was able.